Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Sandbag (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=307501)

BlueIce 01-25-2013 10:58 AM

Sandbag

Does anyone else put a sandbag in the hatch for winters? I had to have one in my mkV GTI to keep the ass end from sliding out when I went around an icy/snowy corner. (And the traction was still absolute garbage lol)

When I got this car I naturally just tossed in the back. Now Im wondering if I need it or not. This car seems to be a bit bigger and more balanced.

rambleon84 01-25-2013 11:10 AM

Well i personally haven't used weight in a car before, only on trucks. If it's snowing up near the lake like it is here in Columbus, then go test it out.

Find a couple of miles to drive and go at it once without the sand and once with, see if you can see a noticeable difference. How heavy of a bag is it, 50lbs? Tires will be the most important factor imo

Scott02 01-25-2013 11:31 AM

I really like the way this car handles in the snow.
Even when ebrake sliding it on purpose, the stability control utilizes the brakes in such a manner that it swings the rear end right back in line quite quickly.

Elizabeth 01-25-2013 11:48 AM

Sandbags in the trunk were for rear wheel drive cars....
That was back when ALL cars were rear wheel drive..
Since the engine was in hte front.. not much weight back there in the trunk. Adding some weight helped traction.
With a front wheel drive car no reason to add sandbags to trunk.
LOL [hihi]

a351must2 01-25-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth (Post 4556449)
Since the engine was in hte front.. not much weight back there in the trunk. Adding some weight helped traction.
LOL [hihi]

This is correct. I used to daily drive a '77 Mustang and it really was the best driving cars in the snow that I've had. V8 + stick shift + one wheel peel and all season tires. Adding weight to the rear made it even better.

F35-JSF 01-25-2013 12:30 PM

Didn't seem to help with my transam. I just drove slower and gave myself more time , distance for stopping and hills. You have to pack alot in the trunk to weight the shocks down to full compression. Didn't seem worth it.

BlueIce 01-25-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth (Post 4556449)
LOL [hihi]

I know all that, I have a '79 firebird and a truck.

But I also know that my GTI was completely undriveable without a sandbag in the hatch. Without it, I couldn't turn without fishtailing. And that was with winter tires. Adding the sandbag in the hatch kept the rear in place. I got the tip from others that had the car and had the same problem. So clearly there is a reason to add it for a FWD car.

PratoN 01-25-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueIce (Post 4556622)
But I also know that my GTI was completely undriveable without a sandbag in the hatch. Without it, I couldn't turn without fishtailing. And that was with winter tires. Adding the sandbag in the hatch kept the rear in place. I got the tip from others that had the car and had the same problem. So clearly there is a reason to add it for a FWD car.

Probably for the same reason it's recommended to put your better tires on the rear. No matter front/rear/4x4 drive - better traction in the back will increase stability by reducing fishtailing.

vegachicago 01-25-2013 02:29 PM

If it snows alot I have a bag of tubesand I use - 70lbs. And I agree with the poster. I had a 2004 saturn Ion front wheel drive that was a very light car. When I'd put the sand in the trunk, it would hold me better in the corners.

BrApple 01-25-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F35-JSF (Post 4556514)
Didn't seem to help with my transam. I just drove slower and gave myself more time , distance for stopping and hills. You have to pack alot in the trunk to weight the shocks down to full compression. Didn't seem worth it.

Wait, what?

Why would you put enough weight in to fully compress the struts? That much weight would induce fishtailing, not help it.