Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Focus SVT (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Pitfalls of 100K+miles on used SVT Focus? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=307483)

SVTKarma 01-25-2013 06:45 AM

Pitfalls of 100K+miles on used SVT Focus?

Seeking wisdom from those with experience. I have two '04 SVT's, and I am looking for a 3rd. I love these cars, and I come from Porsche/Audi/BMW history. However, mileage on the used SVT cars are regularly over 100k miles, and often over 120k.

Question: what are most common repair problems on the higher mileage models? I have replaced a clutch at 52K and a motor mount at 85k. Otherwise, my SVT's are rock solid.

I am concerned about head unit problems, clutch, power windows, transmission. Any tips or advice would be appreciated. Conversely, I would love to hear from owners with 150K miles and still running strong.

Thanks. PR

sleepyboy 01-25-2013 07:02 AM

Welcome to the forum [welcome] [ffrocks] [loveff]

The main pitfall is that you didn't get to put the miles of fun on for the first 100-120k mi lol. Most of the problems you run into are the normal problems that we all know about like the t-stat housing leaks, IMRC box problems, and a few other minor things that are easily fixed. Also don't forget the all important t-belt change that we tend to recommend doing at 60-80k mi. Clutches can be bought for cheap at partsgeek.com for a tad over 300 bucks which is a steal compared to everyone else, but most of the factory clutches last a long time, one local member has over 150k mi on his or at least I think it's that much, I forget but I know he has almost the same amount of miles on it as I do on Ole' Yeller (my yellow ZX3 which was my first focus). The transmission seem to be very durable though are getting hard to find and are not rebuildable like other transmissions. I have never seen one with power window problems on here that I can remember but they share the same parts as a normal focus with power windows. The head units do wear out and majority of people just replace them with a aftermarket unit though a lot keep the factory sub and we have How to's on how to do that HERE. HERE are some sticky threads to read over that can answer a lot of questions and point you in directions with the SVT also.

We have a few members on her that have much higher mileage than what your asking about and I even think there are a few 200k mi ones on here as well.

I'm also glad to hear you like them and are collecting them. So many of them are just parted out now and most of the time cause people don't want to fix them, a lot of times from a broken t-belt or something like that [bigcry]. I personally want to try and save everyone I can but I can't. I was lucky to save the one I have. HERE is the thread for mine I made, which will be updated as soon as the all important income tax check comes in.

sleepyboy 01-25-2013 07:05 AM

Oh and I moved your thread to the SVT section so other owners can chime in with their experiences. [thumb]

SVTKarma 01-25-2013 07:22 AM

Thanks for the reply. I'll wait to hear more. I love the Focus SVT, despite the fact the general public has no idea how great the SVT's are. I would just like to know where the repair issues might be down the road. I also collect Lotus Esprit's and F-Gen Camaro SS's, but the Focus SVT is the car that gives me the biggest smile. And this Forum is fantastic.

sleepyboy 01-25-2013 07:33 AM

Sweet car collection, if you get a chance post some pics of them so we can drool over them lol

02fordsvt 01-25-2013 08:13 AM

Here's a quick list of what I've had to replace on my car from between the time I bought the car (about 90,000 miles) to now (114,000 +). Unless I say otherwise, everything was replace because something was broke or truly worn out; I'm an if it aint broke, don't fix it type of person.

Timing belt (routine maintenance)
Thermostat housing (leaking)
One rear bearing (it went from perfect to the wheel wobbling all over within three days)
Parking brake cable (you can thank NYS salt rust for that)
Front struts (more for an upgrade than because they were that bad)
Both front lower control arms (completely worn out)
Sway bar links (One of the joints has popped out so the sway bar wasn't held by anything anymore)

And that all I can remember right now. I haven't had any trouble with the engine and a large part of the stuff listed above was contributed to by the rust we get from road salt.

Insaniac 01-25-2013 08:29 AM

Check your clutch/brake pedals for brake fluid. I bought mine with a leaking Clutch Master Cylinder and had to replace it. It wasn't that hard of a job, just kind of tedious due to the location. From what I've read, the CMC leaking is a pretty common issue.

ErikJames04SVT 01-25-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insaniac (Post 4556152)
Check your clutch/brake pedals for brake fluid. I bought mine with a leaking Clutch Master Cylinder and had to replace it. It wasn't that hard of a job, just kind of tedious due to the location. From what I've read, the CMC leaking is a pretty common issue.

^ No joke! I bought my focus SVT with 97k and noticed my brake fluid was leaking somehwere just couldnt find it until i ran up to the gas station and couldn't get the pig back in gear. This was 2 weeks ago at 107k mi. Other than the standing on your head for an hour to get the CMC swapped, its not a hard fix. I also am replacing shocks all around as mine are a week from completly worn out and trying to figure out if the timing belt has been done yet.

SVTKarma 01-25-2013 08:10 PM

Everyone--all great information. Thanks. Keep it coming. It's just so hard to find SVT's with sub-80K miles, and 100k+ seems to be the norm. These cars were enjoyed and not pulled out of the garage on sunny days only.

LittleRedSVT 01-27-2013 01:21 AM

My SVTF had a bunch of work done on it by the previous owner at around 125k. I'll go check the reciepts in the glove box, but it's at 136k right now and it runs fine.