Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   K&N 69-3517TS vs. AEM 21-702C Cold Air Intakes (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=307453)

Focus2.0SEL 01-24-2013 07:35 PM

K&N 69-3517TS vs. AEM 21-702C Cold Air Intakes

Trying to decide on an intake to put in my 2012 SEL. Anyone have any thoughts or experience on which one is better? K&N 69-3517TS vs. AEM 21-702C? Also, has anyone had any experience running an illegal CAI as far as emissions go, how would the state find out about it?

SkyPilot 01-29-2013 07:02 PM

Moved to: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance

Most of us guys around here are running the Steeda or FSWERKS intake.

Personally I love my Steeda intake. its a beautiful piece with a nice growl to it.

Focus2.0SEL 01-29-2013 08:58 PM

Didn't even think about the Steeda. Probably going to go with that one now, specs looked pretty good on it and the price is decent. Do you have any pics or videos of yours?

SkyPilot 01-29-2013 11:09 PM

Lots of pics and a vid in this thread

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286547

Focus2.0SEL 01-30-2013 11:20 AM

Thanks it was a great info!

OPsDad 01-30-2013 07:31 PM

From pics it looks like the Steeda is a no-oil air cleaner? My service manager at the local dealership has already pretty much indicated that he and I are not going to have a happy relationship if I put an oiled filter CAI on the car. So I'd like to get an upgrade that is not oiled, if possible.

suss6052 01-30-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OPsDad (Post 4565541)
From pics it looks like the Steeda is a no-oil air cleaner? My service manager at the local dealership has already pretty much indicated that he and I are not going to have a happy relationship if I put an oiled filter CAI on the car. So I'd like to get an upgrade that is not oiled, if possible.

It is an oiled filter, they even sell a replacement oil re-charge kit. Pretty much all aftermarket air filters are oiled except for the o.e. style paper filters.

They have to prove it caused an issue with the car, at least in the U.S. to be able to try and void the warranty as a result of the CAI/SRI.

OPsDad 01-30-2013 07:46 PM

CAI Oil...

Quote:

Originally Posted by suss6052 (Post 4565550)
It is an oiled filter, they even sell a replacement oil re-charge kit. Pretty much all aftermarket air filters are oiled except for the o.e. style paper filters.

They have to prove it caused an issue with the car, at least in the U.S. to be able to try and void the warranty as a result of the CAI/SRI.

I know... but it does put me in an adversarial position with the guy. I'll just run stock for now, at least for the first few months. Not a hill I'm willing to die on, at least not currently. [xx(]

SkyPilot 01-30-2013 10:37 PM

K&N makes a stock replacement filter, the only way they would know you have it would be to take the cover off the box. It might be a happy medium in your situation.

Or try another dealer for warranty work. My Service Mgr loves my focus and the things ive done so far.

suss6052 01-30-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyPilot (Post 4565809)
K&N makes a stock replacement filter, the only way they would know you have it would be to take the cover off the box. It might be a happy medium in your situation.

Or try another dealer for warranty work. My Service Mgr loves my focus and the things ive done so far.

Technically that's still an oiled filter, so if/ when they open the filter housing during an oil change that could still bring up trouble for them if their dealer is going to be a jerk about it, in full violation of the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act which states that the warranty can't be invalidated unless the change can be proved to have caused the problem essentially.