Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Disassembly for grill (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=307443)

Juicedz 01-24-2013 03:59 PM

Disassembly for grill
 
I just bought a new 2013 focus hatchback se and want to get the upper grill off to plasti dip the chrome on the sides of the ford emblem. Theres several tabs inside of the plastic piece. I was able to take off both snap in pins on the top two corners. Sorry I don't have a Haynes manual. Do they sell them for this model year yet?

sgmfocus 01-24-2013 04:56 PM

you don't have to take the grill out the two plastic chrome pieces can be removed this is how i did mine,have to be careful, there a real pain to get out, there glued on top side, use a wrapped screwdriver or trim stick if you have one,there are three tabs on bottom and two on top,
start prying on one side with other hand lift the bottom tabs/clips up when there all free bottom will lift up then you can pull the top out you may have to cut or loosen the glue

Juicedz 01-24-2013 05:40 PM

That sounds like a pita. Is it easier to get the whole upper grill out? Thinking I might just tape off and plasti dip if its that much hassle. Cars got 300 miles on it so I don't really want to start breaking stuff just yet.

RAF_S197 01-24-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgmfocus (Post 4555267)
you don't have to take the grill out the two plastic chrome pieces can be removed this is how i did mine,have to be careful, there a real pain to get out, there glued on top side, use a wrapped screwdriver or trim stick if you have one,there are three tabs on bottom and two on top,
start prying on one side with other hand lift the bottom tabs/clips up when there all free bottom will lift up then you can pull the top out you may have to cut or loosen the glue

If they are glued and you remove them, will they still go back on properly without re gluing?

sgmfocus 01-24-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAF_S197 (Post 4555357)
If they are glued and you remove them, will they still go back on properly without re gluing?

i wrapped mine in vinyl about three months ago ,just put them back in without glue,so far there still nice and tight, theres little tabs that hold them in place

RAF_S197 01-24-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgmfocus (Post 4555390)
i wrapped mine in vinyl about three months ago ,just put them back in without glue,so far there still nice and tight, theres little tabs that hold them in place

Cool. Thanks. I might try to wrap mine on the car


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:10 AM.