Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   2002 focus Could timing belt break without bending valves? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=307385)

Lovelyvanity 01-23-2013 11:21 PM

2002 focus Could timing belt break without bending valves?

I have a 2002 ford focus lx 2.0 auto SOHC. Was driving and let off the gas to coast to a stop light. Light turned green so I went to get on the gas but the pedal would not go down. Coasted to the side of the road and quickly shut the car off. My car just hit 140,000 miles and has never had the belt changed. There was no noise no nothing that would give a sign something was wrong. After I turned it off the gas pedal was fine. I tried to turn it back on and it makes a soft cranking sound not up and down or scratchy. The guy who have me a tow at that time also said it sounded like the belt. Since I was coasting and turned it right off is there a chance I could of not bent any valves or anything? It sounded normal and quiet while running like always just wouldn't start after I shut off. [:(]

jetrinka 01-23-2013 11:41 PM

When you say the pedal wouldn't go down, do you mean you physically couldn't push it? Or that you pushed it and nothing really happened?

And I don't believe the SOHC motor is an interference type motor so if it is the belt thats broke, you should be good to line up the marks and throw a new belt on it.

Lovelyvanity 01-23-2013 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetrinka (Post 4554231)
When you say the pedal wouldn't go down, do you mean you physically couldn't push it? Or that you pushed it and nothing really happened?

And I don't believe the SOHC motor is an interference type motor so if it is the belt thats broke, you should be good to line up the marks and throw a new belt on it.

Yes I physically couldn't push it down. It was stiff till I turned it off. When I had them look up the kit at advanced auto they said it was interference but its worth the try to replace. I'm not sure though I've had so many say is and not.

sleepyboy 01-23-2013 11:56 PM

A timing belt breaking should have nothing to do with the throttle body and gas pedal. Though if you never have changed the belt then it's time to do that.

Lovelyvanity 01-24-2013 12:11 AM

Yeah I was just explaining what happened :) I just needed to know if its an interference engine before I pay someone to change the belt, terrified the engines shot but I don't feel as if anything seemed off. It's a 2.0l SOHC.

amc49 01-24-2013 12:45 AM

Nothing there to stop the gas pedal from going down. Maybe brake pedal instead in the confusion?

Lovelyvanity 01-24-2013 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amc49 (Post 4554310)
Nothing there to stop the gas pedal from going down. Maybe brake pedal instead in the confusion?

Lol no there was nothing to confuse I was relaxed and coasting before I went to get on gas. I just hope no valves are bent :|

whynotthinkwhynot 01-24-2013 05:20 AM

NO valves were bent. I don't suggest listening to Advance Auto techs. This engine is non-interference. Even if it was interference, a timing belt breaking would have nothing to do with your gas pedal not going down. Those are 2 separate things.

BTW when a timing belt breaks, the engine will crank over much faster than it did before, but not start.

psiceman 01-29-2013 10:55 PM

I am driving am 03 focus se 2.0, was driving and the car died. towed it home now it cranks, have spark and injector pulse. i did notice when cranking the engine that it is blowing air out of the intake system, not sucking. i believe the engine may have jumped time, any help would be great

tmittelstaedt 01-30-2013 04:02 AM

Did you pull plugs? Those motors have a problem with dropping valve seats. You should be able to pull the timing belt cover and verify the belt condition, if it is good I would get a long screwdriver with a magnetic tip and put it down each plug hole, if you did lose a seat that will come back up with pieces of the seat on it.