Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   CEL P0171 (BANK 1) help (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=307376)

focusSE2002 01-23-2013 11:10 PM

CEL P0171 (BANK 1) help

hey all, new here but have been researching to find out what is going on with my car, dropped a valve seat of course so i got a used engine, and now that I got it back after driving about 100 miles I got a CEL P0171 bank 1, and the oil light started lighting up when I came to a complete stop, and lightly flashed as i hit the brake at times, so I did a oil change myself again after the shop of 10x30 and it came up again today

runs like crap kinda hear something ticking, not sure if its the engine itself or the CEL issue is causing it, any help is appreciated

Looked around the bay, didnt see any vacuum leaks, do have a bad tensioner pulley sqeaking, thanks ahead of time

sleepyboy 01-23-2013 11:28 PM

Welcome to the forum [welcome] [ffrocks] [loveff]

Did you have a shop install the engine? If so take it back and tell them what's happening. If the oil light is coming on that's not a good sign, neither is the ticking your hearing if it's having that light. Check for vacuum leaks and use a screw driver to hear where the noise in coming from. The motor you got could be bad. It could be running lean from a leak or maybe the front O2 sensor might need replacing. We tend not to recommend putting another SPI motor in and usually point towards doing a zetec swap.

focusSE2002 01-23-2013 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepyboy (Post 4554117)
Welcome to the forum [welcome] [ffrocks] [loveff]

Did you have a shop install the engine? If so take it back and tell them what's happening. If the oil light is coming on that's not a good sign, neither is the ticking your hearing if it's having that light. Check for vacuum leaks and use a screw driver to hear where the noise in coming from. The motor you got could be bad. It could be running lean from a leak or maybe the front O2 sensor might need replacing. We tend not to recommend putting another SPI motor in and usually point towards doing a zetec swap.

Thanks! well i got a used engine and had a shop put it in, although this light is present and pretty much stuck, I really just planned to sell the car unfortuantly :/ but i wont get much in the condition its in although its probably just minor

i did see the one of the intake manifold nut or bolt was loose just now

Squareleft 01-24-2013 12:05 AM

the MAF sensor can be a huge contributor to a p0171. more common than most causes.
Other than a vacuum leak.
As far as the oil light and ticking id say take this thing back to wherever it was installed. sounds like a real HACK install.

amc49 01-24-2013 02:09 AM

That oil light coming on like that is NOT minor............

whynotthinkwhynot 01-24-2013 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amc49 (Post 4554328)
That oil light coming on like that is NOT minor............

First things first, find your oil switch (that operates the light), remove it, clean it with carb cleaner, and put it back in. Those only come on when there is less than 7 psi of oil pressure. Now it's been my experience that engines don't run long with only 7 psi, so I'm going to take a guess that your switch might be dirty from sitting up and stuck. You can replace it if you want- that's not an expensive part. I'm not 100% sure of it's location on this engine, but typically it's located near the oil filter. If you put it back in or replace it, and still get the light- stop running the engine or it will KO in short order.

focusSE2002 01-24-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot (Post 4554382)
First things first, find your oil switch (that operates the light), remove it, clean it with carb cleaner, and put it back in. Those only come on when there is less than 7 psi of oil pressure. Now it's been my experience that engines don't run long with only 7 psi, so I'm going to take a guess that your switch might be dirty from sitting up and stuck. You can replace it if you want- that's not an expensive part. I'm not 100% sure of it's location on this engine, but typically it's located near the oil filter. If you put it back in or replace it, and still get the light- stop running the engine or it will KO in short order.

I know that light cant be any good and really freaked me out when i saw that, im going to go ahead and look for that sensor, any input on its location would be great if somebody knows where its located, im so bummed out with this car

As far as the CEL, it mentioned bank 1 does that norrow the problem to a specific location?
Btw thanks for the replys everyone really appreciate it

sleepyboy 01-24-2013 08:12 AM

Should be by the oil filter, all bank 1 means is the first bank of cylinders on a v 8-6 motor, on yours it just means the all 4.

focusSE2002 01-24-2013 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepyboy (Post 4554447)
Should be by the oil filter, all bank 1 means is the first bank of cylinders on a v 8-6 motor, on yours it just means the all 4.

Wow you guys are awsome with the quick response, as far as the CEL, i have read that after dropping a valve seat particles from it can get into the egr and contaminate it, Maybe just cleaning it off will help? Also considering replacing the PCV valve and hose, dpfe sensor and clean off or replace my MAF sensor, what do You guys think

sleepyboy 01-24-2013 05:49 PM

I think you should take it back to the shop that did the install asap.