Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Active Park Assist on manual? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=307194)

AfternoonShift 01-21-2013 08:47 PM

Active Park Assist on manual?

Anyone know if its possible to have active park assist on manual 5 speed? I thought i saw one recently, but can't seem to find the post. Looking at ordering a 2013 TI and sales guy said the system wouldn't allow auto park to be added since it was a stick.

suss6052 01-21-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfternoonShift (Post 4550371)
Anyone know if its possible to have active park assist on manual 5 speed? I thought i saw one recently, but can't seem to find the post. Looking at ordering a 2013 TI and sales guy said the system wouldn't allow auto park to be added since it was a stick.

In Europe it may be possible, nay probable, however in the U.S. I'm pretty sure its not an allowable configuration even though it could work as long as you shift the car and modulate the clutch yourself, but they must not want the liability.

miuzi05 01-21-2013 09:02 PM

I've been wondering that myself, but I can't really see it being practicable with a manual.

Elizabeth 01-21-2013 09:55 PM

There is no way to do the manual clutch 'automatically' so no park assist.
(park assist is one of those 'bling' features to impress children.. IMO of course.) ((I can park my own car [woot] LOL))

Same thing i can shift my own gears.. i do not need no automatic to do it for me....

suss6052 01-21-2013 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth (Post 4550497)
(park assist is one of those 'bling' features to impress children.. IMO of course.) ((I can park my own car [woot] LOL))

Same thing i can shift my own gears.. i do not need no automatic to do it for me....

You don't need to automate the clutch to have parking assist, as it mostly controls just the steering, the driver is still in charge of the gear selection and the accelerator and brake.

It is definitely available on the UK Titanium as part of the convenience package even with the 6MT.

The driver would still have to self modulate the clutch just as though they were doing the parking themselves.

Quote:

Information
Convenience Pack £525.00
Active Park Assist, powerfold mirrors, Includes power 1 shot up/down front & rear windows and global closing on Zetec / Zetec S (not available on 1.6 Duratec 105PS or 1.6 Duratec Powershift Auto)

AfternoonShift 01-22-2013 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth (Post 4550497)

as to what suss6052 noted... I've seen demo's on youtube of park assist w/ manual... hence the reason why i was asking the question of it not allowing me to add it on a US spec car. All ya gotta do if feather the clutch...as you should know being a person that can "shift my own gears". [wiggle]

with that said... It's a feature i can live without, since i'm not going to give up manual.

e30og 01-22-2013 12:16 AM

I think the market for manuals is already a niche, im guessing no more than 10% of Focus buyers and that may be very optimistic. The percentage of THOSE drivers that would actually option self parking is probably very low, so it makes little sense for Ford to build them with self parking if they will sparsely sell. Remember, the Ti wasn't even considered for a manual until demand brought it later on, let alone a niche feature like that. I personally wouldnt care for it.

Maybe a new Poll...?

Sonic_HedgeHog 01-22-2013 12:45 AM

Wasn't there an article early on about how the Mk3 was showing a higher proportion of manuals then Ford expected?

forceflow2 01-22-2013 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic_HedgeHog (Post 4550770)
Wasn't there an article early on about how the Mk3 was showing a higher proportion of manuals then Ford expected?

Quote:

Customer demand for the Focus Titanium with five-speed manual transmission pushed Ford to offer that trim package and transmission as a new combination. Interestingly, demand for the manual transmission this year is running much higher than Fordís expectations (4.5 percent expected vs. 6.7 percent actual).
http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=36080

So, still very low.

Deftmetal 01-22-2013 08:49 AM

When I bought mine there was three manuals for sale in Canada. The driver has to shift anyway in the auto I thought