Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   SVT Clutch Went Out! (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=307181)

dross03focus 01-21-2013 07:15 PM

SVT Clutch Went Out!

My clutch went out 2 hours away from home, I towed it home, but the car will no pull itself at all in any gear and will not die even if the clutch is not pushed in at all. I have never done a clutch job before, but my brother will be giving me a hand.

I plan on ordering a LUK Clutch kit, do I need a new flywheel? I will order one if chances are that I will, if not it will save me alot of money. The car has 103k on it and I just bought it 1500 miles ago so I am unsure if it is the factory clutch.

05focusST91 01-21-2013 07:46 PM

Id change the flywheel to play it safe

zetecDon 01-21-2013 07:52 PM

Moved to "General Technical Chat".

dross03focus 01-21-2013 08:41 PM

That's what I was thinking, I can get a full kit for 430 off ebay.

Svt_kid 01-21-2013 11:16 PM

I just did my clutch a month ago, the rivits dug into the oem flywheel and basicly ruined it.

whynotthinkwhynot 01-22-2013 05:53 AM

You have a DMF, it is recommended that it be changed with every clutch. You can convert to a SMF, so that you can resurface or, in the case of aluminum flywheels, replace friction surfaces with every clutch. You must order flywheel bolts. We had an FF who had a flywheel put in without new flywheel bolts, and those bolts broke like 20k miles later. He was fortunate it didn't cause any damage, but it did cost him a lot of money to get it repaired.

dross03focus 01-22-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot (Post 4550895)
You have a DMF, it is recommended that it be changed with every clutch. You can convert to a SMF, so that you can resurface or, in the case of aluminum flywheels, replace friction surfaces with every clutch. You must order flywheel bolts. We had an FF who had a flywheel put in without new flywheel bolts, and those bolts broke like 20k miles later. He was fortunate it didn't cause any damage, but it did cost him a lot of money to get it repaired.

Thanks guys, Ill order a full kit with flywheel and all!

SVTisRight4me 01-22-2013 02:14 PM

are u getting a factory clutch? let me know if u dont i have a svt and i would like to know how the aftermarket clutch is compared to the factory

dross03focus 01-22-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVTisRight4me (Post 4551468)
are u getting a factory clutch? let me know if u dont i have a svt and i would like to know how the aftermarket clutch is compared to the factory

Yea I'm getting a factory replacement LUK

Joelnaf 01-22-2013 10:20 PM

Go to partsgeek.com I got the LUK clutch flywheel and throwout bearing for just a shade over 300. Best price I could find and super fast/free shipping.