Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   N/A vs Turbo (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=307078)

WSkobra 01-20-2013 12:58 PM

N/A vs Turbo

Just want to get your thoughts on this topic. I kind of want to go turbo but then yet again so many of us do turbo setups so I started thinking of doing a all motor build and just run a nitrous kit only when I am at the track. How much power do you think I can get out of the 2.0 Dtec? If I do the all motor setup the car would be more of a sleeper which I like since it's a sedan that I have. Also, has anyone heard of anyone doing this before to their Dtec?

RonMaiden 01-20-2013 01:08 PM

If you can afford the turbo setup go with it,I'm not a fan of temporary power and a sleeper is a car that beats cars much quicker than it's looks and lineage suggest and a NA setup will still be slow when off the laughing gas.

If I could afford an ST I might be up for swapping over the nose and tail parts from a regular MK3 SE which would be an awesome sleeper.

WSkobra 01-20-2013 01:24 PM

My goal if I did all motor is to run 13's without the aid of nitrous. Which for an all motor four cylinder that is actually pretty quick.

streetfocus 01-20-2013 01:37 PM

All motor 14s is attainable. I have also considered nitrous just to have a little fun at the track only without dropping a lot of money.

felixthecat 01-20-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WSkobra (Post 4548315)
My goal if I did all motor is to run 13's without the aid of nitrous. Which for an all motor four cylinder that is actually pretty quick.

You'd have to figure out the cost of a n/a built up vs a bolt on turbo kit, like say a Fwerks kit for 3995.00. How would a n/a motor be for a DD & mpg? Look around= not that many n/a motors vs a lot of turbo's. Theres a reason for that. I'm not trying to pop your bubble, go for it.

WSkobra 01-20-2013 01:51 PM

I don't care about mpg. I just want to get 200+WHP and be able to have fun with it. And going N/A is different so it's not like you're going to ever see that many around. My overall goal with my car is to make it different. Go opposite of what everyone else is doing.

BrokenSVT 01-20-2013 02:01 PM

While I can admire the desire to be different, I can also comprehend the reason that path isn't followed often. The path of more resistance is quite expensive, less driveable and as already pointed out, ultimately slower.

streetfocus 01-20-2013 02:57 PM

I dig it. If you know how to do all the work yourself, I say go for it. Could be fun and unique. Plus there really is something more satisfying about doing it all yourself. Stand out!

RonMaiden 01-20-2013 02:58 PM

I spent a decade right smack at the start of the sport compact drag scene and it took alot to get an NA 4 banger in the 13s and alot of it was weigth reduction which included stripped interiors which is not my cup o tea for a street car.

WSkobra 01-20-2013 04:53 PM

Being N/A does not mean it will ultimately be slower then turbo. In the end I will be happy with a N/A build.