Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   My DCT stalled out while driving today...*MK3* (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=307047)

mishka 01-19-2013 11:57 PM

My DCT stalled out while driving today...*MK3*
 
Hey all, so here's the situation of what happened.
I was going uphill, and I was in sport mode. Once I got to about the top of the hill I put it in Drive. After that on the way down the hill, it auto-shifted down (rpm increased), instead of up, which I thought was weird cause it usually shifts up on downhills. Anyways I noticed that happen, and then I was preparing to turn right at the bottom of the hill, so I flipped my turn signal. It was then that I noticed the main screen said "Transmission not in Park", and all of the gauges read 0 as if the car was off. I check the stick and it was in Drive still. I then check the key and it was in the "off" position... So I had to really quickly just start the car because I had the turn coming up at the bottom of the hill. All I know is, i'm 99% sure it stalled out randomly while driving because all the signs of that happening were there. I was told that the DCT cannot stall out, and you can't damage the car because the car will auto-shift before you can. Anyways, I don't think I did anything wrong, and the car randomly stalled out.
As a background, I'v got 2,200 miles on it since I got it on Dec. 14, 2012, and I've been driving it pretty hard. I haven't done the 1st oil change yet.

Please respond if you've had similar issue or if anyone knows whats up. Thanks.

Joeywhat 01-20-2013 02:52 AM

Well, the transmission can't stall because it's a gearbox, and they don't do that...

The key can't be in the "off" position unless the gear selector is in park. You also can't restart the car unless it's in park (or neutral). Also, the key doesn't move by itself, something moved it if it was indeed in the off position.

mishka 01-20-2013 03:41 AM

That's honestly what happened. The car turned off while driving around 20-25 mph downhill. It said "transmission not in park" and all the gauges read 0 and the meters were down at the bottom. The key was in the off position. I had to turn the key all the way and turn it back on, and it instantly turned on as if nothing happened.

mikebontoft 01-20-2013 04:22 AM

does it have kind of a permanent key? just curious. I thought it was just a push button.

key won't move on it's own though. it had to have been bumped.

mishka 01-20-2013 04:27 AM

no push button. just normaly key and spare key. as a side note, the spare key was the one in the car at the time, however they are both set to admin key so they are the same.

felixdd 01-20-2013 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mishka (Post 4547817)
Hey all, so here's the situation of what happened.
I was going uphill, and I was in sport mode. Once I got to about the top of the hill I put it in Drive. After that on the way down the hill, it auto-shifted down (rpm increased), instead of up, which I thought was weird cause it usually shifts up on downhills. Anyways I noticed that happen, and then I was preparing to turn right at the bottom of the hill, so I flipped my turn signal. It was then that I noticed the main screen said "Transmission not in Park", and all of the gauges read 0 as if the car was off. I check the stick and it was in Drive still. I then check the key and it was in the "off" position... So I had to really quickly just start the car because I had the turn coming up at the bottom of the hill. All I know is, i'm 99% sure it stalled out randomly while driving because all the signs of that happening were there. I was told that the DCT cannot stall out, and you can't damage the car because the car will auto-shift before you can. Anyways, I don't think I did anything wrong, and the car randomly stalled out.
As a background, I'v got 2,200 miles on it since I got it on Dec. 14, 2012, and I've been driving it pretty hard. I haven't done the 1st oil change yet.

Please respond if you've had similar issue or if anyone knows whats up. Thanks.

Sounds like the computer got confused and decided to shut off. I think when they say that the dct can't stall, what they mean is that the system will automatically downshift to prevent being in too high a gear and not have enough RPMs

When you say that the keys were in the "off" position, do you mean that you had to turn the key to start the car again? When you did, did you feel the interval "clicks" as the key got into the "ACC" then "ON" positions? I ask because its a common misconception that the key stays fully turned after you start the car; rather, it's a spring-loaded mechanism where the key will spring back to the "ON" position.

If you didn't feel the bumps when you restarted the car, then it was probably in the ON position.

mishka 01-20-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felixdd (Post 4547999)
Sounds like the computer got confused and decided to shut off. I think when they say that the dct can't stall, what they mean is that the system will automatically downshift to prevent being in too high a gear and not have enough RPMs

When you say that the keys were in the "off" position, do you mean that you had to turn the key to start the car again? When you did, did you feel the interval "clicks" as the key got into the "ACC" then "ON" positions? I ask because its a common misconception that the key stays fully turned after you start the car; rather, it's a spring-loaded mechanism where the key will spring back to the "ON" position.

If you didn't feel the bumps when you restarted the car, then it was probably in the ON position.

Yes, I had to turn the key all the way to start the car again. I'm not sure If I felt the interval clicks, because I had to react really quickly because the car was going down a hill and I had to stop. I don't know what you mean when you say the it's "a common misconception that the key stays fully turned after you start the car" . That doesn't make any sense to me.
The engine definitely turned off. (I know because, like I said before, all the gauges/meters 0'd out and it said "transmission not in P" - and that is exactly what it says if you turn the engine off and put in in Neutral or any other gear but drive.) That's all I can say. When I turned the key all the way to restart it, I never heard it "turn over", instead, all the gauges and computer screens just went back to normal instantly as if nothing ever happened.

mikebontoft 01-20-2013 02:35 PM

He means that some people think the key stays in the "start" position rather than "ON"

there's no motor for the key or anything like that. If the vehicle is in motion, turning it back to the "on" position will do exactly as you have described- just make it back to normal.

My point is, it still had to have been bumped. Do you have a lot of keys on a keychain?

Otherwise I may suggest an exorcist.

mishka 01-20-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikebontoft (Post 4548466)
He means that some people think the key stays in the "start" position rather than "ON"

there's no motor for the key or anything like that. If the vehicle is in motion, turning it back to the "on" position will do exactly as you have described- just make it back to normal.

My point is, it still had to have been bumped. Do you have a lot of keys on a keychain?

Otherwise I may suggest an exorcist.

Haha well I do drive like a demon >;) Actually I was using the spare key at the time (just left the carwash and had given them the spare key), which had nothing on it - just 1 lonely key. So there was nothing to bump. The thought actually crossed my mind that maybe I bumped the key, but, I didn't.
I didn't even feel the car stall or anything really, granted I was going downhill and was playing music fairly loud. All I know is I saw the screen say that which I already described, and the rest of symptoms I described.
But you are correct about what happened when the car "restarted", it just looked back to normal.

whynotthinkwhynot 01-21-2013 05:02 AM

Gremlins in the dash turned the key off while you were driving. Bug bomb the car, that makes them drunk, and then maybe they will only chew up the owner's manual (nobody uses it anyway).

Seriously, it's probably an isolated incident that will never happen again. Maybe the key was halfway between ON and ACC, and some bump or something caused it to back up to ACC and turn the engine off while you were driving. The thing is- the key was off, that's why the engine was off. Thank goodness you're in a DCT and not an earlier AT which wouldn't allow you to crank the engine while in D. That's something I noticed in reading your description. If it ever happens again, you can have the transmission looked at all you want to, but there won't be any problems there. The problem will be in the lock cylinder or the ignition switch.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:06 AM.


http://www.focusfanatics.com/aboutus/copyright.asp