Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Tune up ? What should i have done? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306942)

sam fisher 01-18-2013 07:53 PM

Tune up ? What should i have done?

Ok so she just passed 90,000 miles and i would like to know what some recommended / preventative maintenance would be ?.? Like what engine components should i look at / replace ? Spark plugs , wires , belts...etc . Also what about suspension components ? What kind of maintenance can be done there? Also what would be a few cheap poly inserts i can put in when im doing all this maintenance? Thanks guys , if i havent repped you already , i will for your input.

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using FF Mobile

Black00ZX3 01-18-2013 08:50 PM

From the maintenance guide fuel filter, cabin air filter, tranny fluid, oil should all be changed at 90k. 100k is when they suggest you replace the plugs. 150k is when they suggest you replace the belts. Probably wouldn't hurt if you do it sooner.

http://www.focusplanet.com/downloads...ance_guide.pdf

sam fisher 01-18-2013 09:34 PM

Ok so im good on all of that except my fuel filter , and plugs . Do you knlw what are the recommended brands and part numbers are for both by chance?

sam fisher 01-18-2013 09:34 PM

Oh and i might be crazy but im not totally sure my car ever had a cabin.air filter

Dukttape 01-19-2013 09:53 AM

Also grab yourself a bleeder kit and do your brake/clutch fluid. I'll be rolling on 30k here in the next month and I'm going to be doing oil, tranny fluid, and I'm buying a motive power bleeder from FSWerks and going to start doing the brake/clutch fluid every spring. I'm also putting in magnetic oil drain plug and this fall a bypass filter system in, which gives 2 oil accesses ports to run temp and pressure gauges [headbang] , and I figure more filtering is a good thing for a DD.

whynotthinkwhynot 01-19-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sam fisher (Post 4546570)
Oh and i might be crazy but im not totally sure my car ever had a cabin.air filter

You car does not have a cabin air filter. You can find an earlier 00-04 Focus in the junkyard and rob the cabin air filter holder. It will fit in a 05-07 in place of the screen that is in there now.

You do not have an air filter to change. 05-07 were equipped with a lifetime air filter. Your owner's manual will tell you how to test it. Most of us replace that with an aftermarket oil/cotton filter and CAI instead of purchasing a new $200 lifetime filter when the OEM doesn't flow correctly.

Cleaning the MAF is not a bad idea, and costs about $7 for a can of spray MAF cleaner. Around 100k miles is when I replaced my coil boots. You might have noticed that you don't have plug wires and a distributor or even a coil pack like older vehicles. You have coil on plug ignition. Those are the coils that sit on top of the valve cover. We have had problems with the clips connecting the coil power wires- so check those to be sure these are all connected and clipped in place. To replace the boots, remove the coil and boot from the plug. Twist the boot to break it loose, then fold the open end of the boot back towards the top of the coil, and it will pop loose. You can also just pull or push it off the coil. A new boot will cost $5-8 each, and will come with a new spring and solid conductor.

Fuel filters should be changed every 25-30k miles. There is really not much you have to do to this car as far as a "tune-up". Plugs every 75k or so if you use platinum or iridium. NO, they do not last 100k. Coil boots are changed right around the same time, you might get 2 plug changes. The MAF should be cleaned every 25-30k when you change the fuel filter. You can check the PCV at this time- but it's very difficult. As far as fluids go, just keep an eye on them, and change as needed. If you have an AT, then you might consider changing fluid and filter around 100k, or 60k or so. From what I understand, the new fluids last much longer than the old fluids did.

Mile30 01-19-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sam fisher (Post 4546570)

They never came with 'em; but you have to spot to install it. You'll need to pull your wiper arms (index the resting position so re-installing them isn't guesswork), and cowl to get access to the cabin air intake (under the passenger side cowl)...

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/...-25-00_704.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/...-58-41_979.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/...-48-04_294.jpg

I used Ultra-Black RTV sealant to reattach the cowl and assure no leaking into the passenger's footwell via that opening under the cowl!

whynotthinkwhynot 01-19-2013 01:42 PM

^^^ FYI: 05-07 simply have a metal screen there, there is not a cabin air filter folder like the one shown in the picture above. That is what the part looks like that you'd have to find on a 00-04 Focus in a junkyard if you want to have a cabin air filter. Then you have to remove the metal screen and it's plastic frame, then put the cabin air filter holder in it's place.

josephd 01-20-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot (Post 4546951)
You car does not have a cabin air filter. You can find an earlier 00-04 Focus in the junkyard and rob the cabin air filter holder. It will fit in a 05-07 in place of the screen that is in there now.

You do not have an air filter to change. 05-07 were equipped with a lifetime air filter. Your owner's manual will tell you how to test it. Most of us replace that with an aftermarket oil/cotton filter and CAI instead of purchasing a new $200 lifetime filter when the OEM doesn't flow correctly.

Cleaning the MAF is not a bad idea, and costs about $7 for a can of spray MAF cleaner. Around 100k miles is when I replaced my coil boots. You might have noticed that you don't have plug wires and a distributor or even a coil pack like older vehicles. You have coil on plug ignition. Those are the coils that sit on top of the valve cover. We have had problems with the clips connecting the coil power wires- so check those to be sure these are all connected and clipped in place. To replace the boots, remove the coil and boot from the plug. Twist the boot to break it loose, then fold the open end of the boot back towards the top of the coil, and it will pop loose. You can also just pull or push it off the coil. A new boot will cost $5-8 each, and will come with a new spring and solid conductor.

Fuel filters should be changed every 25-30k miles. There is really not much you have to do to this car as far as a "tune-up". Plugs every 75k or so if you use platinum or iridium. NO, they do not last 100k. Coil boots are changed right around the same time, you might get 2 plug changes. The MAF should be cleaned every 25-30k when you change the fuel filter. You can check the PCV at this time- but it's very difficult. As far as fluids go, just keep an eye on them, and change as needed. If you have an AT, then you might consider changing fluid and filter around 100k, or 60k or so. From what I understand, the new fluids last much longer than the old fluids did.

This may be a silly question. Aside of the car running poorly. Does a check engine light come on indicating, time for a change? The OEM filter not flowing correctly, leaves me to wonder if it would cause other problems within the engine.
Any idea what the life expectancy is for the OEM filter? My 07 has one of those maintenance free filters. IMHO that and the PCV being behind the manifold, is not one of Fords better ideas. Thanks

whynotthinkwhynot 01-20-2013 12:04 PM

Did you test the filter like the owner's manual recommends?

Yes, it is possible that there will be codes generated. I would guess codes like O2 sensor reading lean, or MAF not reading correctly- as a guess. If you swap over to a CAI or simply put a 3.5" cone filter on the end of the MAF tube, then you will want to purchase some MAF cleaner and a Torx screwdriver so you can remove the MAF and clean it. The oil from those filters will contaminate the MAF and cause bad fuel economy. The MAF should be cleaned weekly for a month. After that, simply clean it with each oil change.