Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Lemon law success (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306850)

forceflow2 01-17-2013 03:12 PM

Lemon law success

TLDR: Ford replaced my Focus with a new car.

Haven't posted here much in the last few months or so because I have been dealing with getting this resolved.

In November, after the car had been in for repairs for another 11 days and problems still existed, I filed a complaint with the BBB, the first step in the Lemon Law process for my state. I got an email a day or so later from them. They stated that Ford might be in contact with me to deal with my issues. Ford had already set up a time to call me regarding it. This was, easily, the most useless call I have ever been a part of. It lasted about 20 minutes and was little more than my regional CSM telling me "The dealership said they fixed all the issues, whatever you're experiencing now is in your imagination. Don't follow through with your complaint, you're wasting your time. Just take it back into the dealership and tell them what's happening. Just be patient, issues take time to repair. The car is expected to work like that to some degree." Since my car had already been in the shop for 43 days at multiple dealerships for significant repairs, that was an unappealing resolution. Apparently Ford's position is that having your car in for repairs for longer than it took to build the thing is acceptable.

I proceeded with my BBB complaint and a while after the paperwork was all filed, I received an offer from Ford to have a Ford mechanic look at my car to fix any issues he deemed needed fixing and they would give me a 7 year extended warranty. This too was unappealing since I had already had an extended warranty and it did me no good and just having it in for repairs for even longer with no guarantees of repair was ridiculous. I opted to proceed to the BBB's arbitration process. (Up to this point was mediation.) I had a hearing scheduled for December 6 and scheduled vacation time at work so I could drive up there and attend it.

About a week later, on November 30th, I received an email stating that Ford had made another offer, a MSRP to MSRP swap for another Ford vehicle on the dealer's lot. Specifically, they would give me the MSRP value of my Focus, minus a small usage fee based on the mileage of first major repair ((5665/100000)*MSRP), towards a new Ford/Lincoln vehicle of my choosing so long as I paid the difference and it was at least the same price. I figured that since this was an offer that required no more real work on my part and I possibly wouldn't get anything much better at arbitration, I accepted.

Today, after a number of false starts mostly due to Ford's reacquired vehicle unit (apparently they have an entire department devoted to this) failing to send all of the documents and not really returning mine or the dealership's calls (which led to the first dealership just washing their hands of it and backing out near the very end of the process. During the entire process I went through three different caseworkers and nobody else would talk to me or answer any of my questions since they "weren't handling my reacquirement"), I finally picked up my replacement vehicle. I opted for a 2013 Ford Mustang V6 Premium because a Focus was out of the question, a Taurus too big, and the Fiesta was too cheap. Ideally, I wouldn't be driving another Ford at all, but I suppose this is the best of a bad situation. It was down to either a Fusion or a Mustang and they only had two 2013 Fusions on the lot, a Hybrid for ~$40k and a poorly equipped model with MFT. Since I didn't fancy almost doubling my monthly payment and was even less inclined to deal with MFT even more, I went with the Mustang. It helped that the Mustang wasn't a completely new generation that apparently catches on fire. Here's hoping this works out better than the Focus.

http://i.imgur.com/hrU8M.jpg

gsxrboy 01-17-2013 03:43 PM

I am completely appalled by the lack of service and support that you have been dealing with. I don't understand how a company can run like that with departments that simply don't care. Either way, you are driving my dream car, I originally went in with the plan to purchase that same car with the sports package. After crunching the numbers, it was way to much money, so I opted for the Focus. I have been extremely happy with my purchase, no issues at 12k. However, every once in a while, I will see a mustang and picture myself in it. They are 35k for that particular model of Mustang in Canada.

hotleadsingerguy 01-17-2013 04:14 PM

Congratz on your purchase, but I'm surprised you even went with Ford again. If I were in the situation you were in (of already being in the arbitration process), I would have pushed until they bought it back for a full refund. I hope to never deal with Ford again after the way they've responded to me in the past 18 months.

Strix 01-17-2013 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forceflow2 (Post 4544683)
...my regional CSM telling me "The dealership said they fixed all the issues, whatever you're experiencing now is in your imagination. Don't follow through with your complaint, you're wasting your time. Just take it back into the dealership and tell them what's happening. Just be patient, issues take time to repair. The car is expected to work like that to some degree."

Wow... deja vu. I wonder if they have a script they work from, LOL.

Congrats on getting rid of your problems. I hope the new car works out for you.

F35-JSF 01-17-2013 05:33 PM

Very nice. I kinda wish I would have went that route. 305 hp and 31 mpg... Drool.

forceflow2 01-17-2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy (Post 4544761)
Congratz on your purchase, but I'm surprised you even went with Ford again. If I were in the situation you were in (of already being in the arbitration process), I would have pushed until they bought it back for a full refund. I hope to never deal with Ford again after the way they've responded to me in the past 18 months.

Yeah, I had no intention of doing so, but the offer required no more work (at least I though so at the time, I didn't count on how terrible all of Ford's CS departments to be) and was actually something instead of hoping the arbitration went my way (I really didn't have much reason to think it wouldn't though). Worst case scenario is if this thing goes the same way I can trade it in and still have about 3k or so over what I owe on it now.

Edgar 01-17-2013 07:50 PM

And how do you like the stallion so far??

forceflow2 01-17-2013 08:01 PM

Still trying to figure out how to work Sync in it (no clue how to hang up a phone call, really need to read the manual) and getting used to the tach and speedometer being switched, but other than that it's pretty good. It doesn't have any rattles, parts don't seem to be falling off of it, and the transmission doesn't buck and shudder on shifting.

On the downside, the sound system is atrocious (already have replacement speakers on order. Ford seems to have spent a total of about $5 on it) and, for whatever reason, the mudflaps seem to create an air deadzone or something that causes every piece of dirt and dust to collect behind them. Have only driven it 40 miles and it looks like someone just put glue on the lower back side of the car and just threw dirt at it.

e30og 01-17-2013 08:37 PM

Pics of the mustang, congrats!

gostinger 01-17-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsxrboy (Post 4544717)
I am completely appalled by the lack of service and support that you have been dealing with. I don't understand how a company can run like that with departments that simply don't care. Either way, you are driving my dream car, I originally went in with the plan to purchase that same car with the sports package. After crunching the numbers, it was way to much money, so I opted for the Focus. I have been extremely happy with my purchase, no issues at 12k. However, every once in a while, I will see a mustang and picture myself in it. They are 35k for that particular model of Mustang in Canada.

Trust me ..... dealing with Ford Canada CSM is a mirror image of the same nonsense..... I had a local dealer willing to do a goodwill trade and Ford CSM did a "my hands are tied" and the dealer balked....then a second clutch pack repair happened! Currently dealing with CAMVAP which is our lemon law alternative.

Nice Mustang ;)