Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Weird Rattle Passenger seat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306748)

hooligander 01-16-2013 12:44 PM

Weird Rattle Passenger seat

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if anyone experienced this rattle, i have been diagnosing it and finnally found the culprit. Seems there is something rattling from my passenger seat.

I think this should be an easy fix but has anyone had this issue before I bring it in?

FYI Seats are leather heated and manual controls

e30og 01-16-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hooligander (Post 4542698)
Hey Guys,

I was wondering if anyone experienced this rattle, i have been diagnosing it and finnally found the culprit. Seems there is something rattling from my passenger seat.

I think this should be an easy fix but has anyone had this issue before I bring it in?

FYI Seats are leather heated and manual controls

with the passenger seat reclined in a fairly upright position, hit the seatback or slap it, and it makes a rattle right? No idea why it does this, both a 12 and my 13 did this. It doesnt rattle when I drive if I recline the seat a little

PratoN 01-16-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e30og (Post 4542701)
with the passenger seat reclined in a fairly upright position, hit the seatback or slap it, and it makes a rattle right? No idea why it does this, both a 12 and my 13 did this. It doesnt rattle when I drive if I recline the seat a little

Yes. Yes. Yes.

I can push on the seat back to make it *click* or pull up on the seat bottom.

I should post a video of this - especially while driving on a cold morning. It's unbearable. I haven't made the time to diagnose it yet.

hooligander 01-16-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PratoN (Post 4542714)
Yes. Yes. Yes.

I can push on the seat back to make it *click* or pull up on the seat bottom.

I should post a video of this - especially while driving on a cold morning. It's unbearable. I haven't made the time to diagnose it yet.

Haha Ya i know for me it sounds like loose change under the seat or something.

My guess is a loose bolt or some kind of loose steal on steal, i found it my just punching the seat bottom

Has to be an easy fix.....thankfully the only rattle so far at 10K miles/15k km

PratoN 01-16-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hooligander (Post 4542722)
My guess is a loose bolt or some kind of loose steal on steal, i found it my just punching the seat bottom

I agree with the steel-on-steel. I'm hoping for a loose bolt because if it's a loose track, I'm probably screwed since I'm at 43k miles. I've had the rattle forever, but was putting off that complaint until my clutch was replaced. The clutch was never replaced so now I still have both issues. [?|]

e30og 01-16-2013 01:33 PM

yea it must be considering reclining solves the rattle...reclining shifts weight and pulls the bracket up on the bolts. Hope thats the culprit, if so someone at Ford needs to tighten that wrench or something!

if not... :(

hooligander 01-16-2013 01:38 PM

Why do you have to replace the clutch? Do you have DCT or Manual

I have manual and the clutch is great, I see people here complaining about a bad clutch on the manuals but ive never had and issue on this or any other Manual car ive driven.

PratoN 01-16-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hooligander (Post 4542781)
Why do you have to replace the clutch? Do you have DCT or Manual

DCT. So far 3 dealers have said "That's a weird noise." And then took it back and played the "That's normal" game with me. It now vibrates noticeably when shifting into 4th or 2nd, but I have pretty much given up until summer rolls around and it gets really bad again.

hooligander 01-16-2013 01:43 PM

So glad I didnt get DCT, i thought maybe on this new car id get auto but the car enthusiast in me refused haha

hooligander 01-16-2013 01:43 PM

I will bring my car in to check into this rattle and let you know guys