Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Key without buttons (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306666)

Meathead 01-15-2013 01:28 PM

Key without buttons

So I have all but given up on finding a Focus key without the integrated buttons. My last chance is hoping that maybe a Fiesta key would work, as maybe they are available without buttons? Anyone know if this maybe true?

I do not like having a bulky key & a bulky remote start fob with redudent features.

JayDeZ 01-15-2013 01:31 PM

The Fiesta Key has built in buttons... or at least my sister-in-laws 2011 SE SFE had built in button on the remote.

cobie56 01-15-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meathead (Post 4540816)
So I have all but given up on finding a Focus key without the integrated buttons. My last chance is hoping that maybe a Fiesta key would work, as maybe they are available without buttons? Anyone know if this maybe true?

I do not like having a bulky key & a bulky remote start fob with redudent features.

And.. .while they're at it.... next time the car is redesigned, put the ignition key on the dash and not on the steering column where it can't be seen from the driver's seat and one must constantly fumble w/ getting the key in the hole or crane your neck around to see better....

Meathead 01-15-2013 01:32 PM

Crap, now I have officially given up.

Meathead 01-15-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobie56 (Post 4540821)
and.. .while they're at it.... Next time the car is redesigned, put the ignition key on the dash and not on the steering column where it can't be seen from the driver's seat and one must constantly fumble w/ getting the key in the hole or crane your neck around to see better....

+1 !

spiderpig 01-15-2013 01:38 PM

When my wife and I bought a used 2006 Chrystler Town and Country it came with one key with all the buttons. We asked about getting a spare in case we lose the main and they wanted 150 bucks. So I went on ebay and found a chipped blank and then paid like 60 bucks to get them programmed. So it's a key with no buttons, but can still start the car since the chip inside is programmed for the car.

lddavis 01-15-2013 01:48 PM

It's perhaps more important for the key to lock the steering than simply to serve as an ignition switch. You could hot-wire the ignition and drive off. That's why they started locking the steering column in the first place. And that probably means the lock has to physically be part of that mechanism.

All of which just means that designers ought to make sure you can see and easily reach the spot on the column where the key goes, without it being blocked by the wheel (airbag and all).

Meathead 01-15-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderpig (Post 4540834)
When my wife and I bought a used 2006 Chrystler Town and Country it came with one key with all the buttons. We asked about getting a spare in case we lose the main and they wanted 150 bucks. So I went on ebay and found a chipped blank and then paid like 60 bucks to get them programmed. So it's a key with no buttons, but can still start the car since the chip inside is programmed for the car.

It is commonly referred to as a "valet" key. This is the first car that I have owned that did not come with one. I searched online, and at my local car key shop (ekeys4cars.com) and nothing withhout buttons.

cobie56 01-15-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lddavis (Post 4540853)
It's perhaps more important for the key to lock the steering than simply to serve as an ignition switch. You could hot-wire the ignition and drive off. That's why they started locking the steering column in the first place. And that probably means the lock has to physically be part of that mechanism.

All of which just means that designers ought to make sure you can see and easily reach the spot on the column where the key goes, without it being blocked by the wheel (airbag and all).

GM and other makes w/ the ignition key on the dash and not the steering column still have a locking steering wheel.. so the placement of the ignition switch on the column is not an issue.

elwood125 01-15-2013 02:27 PM

hi there is a such thing. I work at a dealer and had one of these keys made for my car. it still will require programming and is not all that cheap but it is out there. mine ran about $50. Ford Rotunda # 164-R8063. The dealer will need a VIN to give the key code to get it cut for you as well as the programming you will need to do (you can do it if you have 2 already programmed keys) Hope that helps