Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Can I make the radio turn off when I turn the car off? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306664)

Meathead 01-15-2013 12:26 PM

Can I make the radio turn off when I turn the car off?
 
I had a remote starter installed this week. SOmething I noticed is that because the car stays running for 5 secods after I close the door (manual transmission), the radio doesnt know to shut off. Right now I have to trurn it off manually when I get out, which is a little annoying. I am hoping there is a way to have the radio shut off by itsef when I turn the car off, rahter than openign the door.

BetaDnB 01-15-2013 12:43 PM

Wait a few minutes. It'll go off by itself in around 5.

Slo86GT 01-15-2013 01:56 PM

Or pull the remote start off the manual trans car. It's not recommended and actually illegal for safety reasons in several states.

Johnny Sticceno 01-15-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slo86GT (Post 4540989)
Or pull the remote start off the manual trans car. It's not recommended and actually illegal for safety reasons in several states.


Err, where did you get the info that it's not recommended? I live in Canada and it's not illegal anywhere here as far as I know. I've never heard anything like this.

Meathead 01-15-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Sticceno (Post 4541028)
Err, where did you get the info that it's not recommended? I live in Canada and it's not illegal anywhere here as far as I know. I've never heard anything like this.

It's something people keep saying because they have no experience with how it actually works. It's not like I installed it myself.

RonMaiden 01-15-2013 02:15 PM

Some folks forget the car is in gear and try to start it but I think there is a some sort of safety so it can't be started unless it's in neutral. My wife wants one on our 5 speed.

Meathead 01-15-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonMaiden (Post 4541040)
Some folks forget the car is in gear and try to start it but I think there is a some sort of safety so it can't be started unless it's in neutral. My wife wants one on our 5 speed.

Thats exactly it. It will only work if you push your clutch and brake in, then remove from gear, then pull e-brake, then shut car off. If the car is put back in gear before car is shut off, then it will disarm the system. I have had them on my last 3 manual transmission cars (7 years) and have not had a single problem. Only thing is cost. The cheapest one cost me $540.

Johnny Sticceno 01-15-2013 03:01 PM

That's exactly what I figured. It just won't start if it's in gear, so no real safety issue?

suss6052 01-15-2013 03:07 PM

The reason why most people don't recommend putting a remote start on a manual is that usually people take short cuts and bypass the clutch switch instead of ensuring that the car is in neutral with the handbrake applied, which would allow the car to start in gear and for higher powered cars like a v8 mustang it would have enough torque to crawl forward into things at idle without stalling.

Now if its wired so that it won't start with the car in gear remotely then that might be ok, but enough people did it the wrong way to draw fire to it here afaik.

Meathead 01-15-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suss6052 (Post 4541189)
The reason why most people don't recommend putting a remote start on a manual is that usually people take short cuts and bypass the clutch switch instead of ensuring that the car is in neutral with the handbrake applied, which would allow the car to start in gear and for higher powered cars like a v8 mustang it would have enough torque to crawl forward into things at idle without stalling.

Now if its wired so that it won't start with the car in gear remotely then that might be ok, but enough people did it the wrong way to draw fire to it here afaik.

+1. As long as you stick to a reputable place (I get mine at Best Buy) that will stand behind the install (lifetime warranty), then there is no safety issue.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:10 AM.


http://www.focusfanatics.com/aboutus/copyright.asp