Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   SVT Performance (2002-2004) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Fix and Improve (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306605)

hockeydoc33 01-14-2013 05:17 PM

Fix and Improve

Hey All,

Just got my SVTF running properly last month and now I have some free cash to spend on it.

So far the only thing done is a K&N Filter.

I have a short list but I am looking to improve handling, handling, and throttle response. This is my daily driver so it has to stay reliable.

Here's my list:
-Tuner
-Springs and Struts
-Headers
-Front and Rear Strut Bars
-Front and Rear Sway Bars

This list is growing but I am looking for suggestions and opinions.

Thanks!

swansong 01-14-2013 05:26 PM

Stick with the SVT header, aftermarket headers aren't worth the negligible gains.

+1 on the tune. Probably the best upgrade you can do, and if you go with Tom you get free NA updates for life.

I'll add:
- Short throw shifter. You'll love it.
- Exhaust. Mainly a sound upgrade, but well worth it.
- ORP or HFC depending on how loud you want to go or what the authorities have to say in your area.

LittleRedSVT 01-14-2013 08:15 PM

Exhaust, cuz it's cool.

Basically I agree with swansong.

Or you could turbo it. :D

ukfan50 01-15-2013 09:56 PM

+1 on the OEM SVT headers. It's been proved thru testing they flow better than any aftermarket.

To add to your list I would do the following before I did anything else...
#1. Tune from Tom.
#2. Short throw shifter
#3. HFC and catback exhaust of your choice.

thehubster 01-15-2013 10:40 PM

I agree with all the above. My car has just about ever NA mod you can do to it to improve the handleing and I love it. I am sure you will to when you get it all done but the best thing to do is the tune right away.

nate4027 01-16-2013 11:49 AM

Is the factory SVT exhaust restrictive or just doesn't have a good sound to it, or both?

swansong 01-16-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nate4027 (Post 4542493)
Is the factory SVT exhaust restrictive or just doesn't have a good sound to it, or both?

It's very efficient actually, and does have good sound, but aftermarket just sounds even better and generally adds volume as well. Minimal performance gains from aftermarket though.

TedisMyNickname 01-16-2013 03:14 PM

after putting an ORP, will the car smell?

edit: and to add to the topic, it seems like everyone suggests putting a CFM throttle body. Hoping the ORP doesn't make the car smell like gas, i'm hoping to add both, plus a tune.

thenorm 01-16-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeydoc33 (Post 4539301)
Hey All,

Just got my SVTF running properly last month and now I have some free cash to spend on it.

So far the only thing done is a K&N Filter.

I have a short list but I am looking to improve handling, handling, and throttle response. This is my daily driver so it has to stay reliable.

Here's my list:
-Tuner
-Springs and Struts
-Headers
-Front and Rear Strut Bars
-Front and Rear Sway Bars

This list is growing but I am looking for suggestions and opinions.

Thanks!

for a street car:
springs/strut
rear sway
front strut bar (just for looks, and leaning on).
The OEM exhaust sounds great as is. I prefer it to stay quiet.
tune, maybe.
lightweight wheels and sticky tires

SvviftSVT 01-17-2013 06:19 PM

like others have said...
tune
orp/hfc
short throw
poly bushing for the dogbone
rear strut brace
then whatever level of suspension work you feel like.