Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   MK3 (2013 SE) stock window tint? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306604)

mishka 01-14-2013 05:12 PM

MK3 (2013 SE) stock window tint?

Hi guys,
I tried to look online but can't find anything.
What is the window tint for my model? I have the 2013 SE Sedan with the equipment package (which means it comes with appearance package).
I ask because I want to get tint, but it's already slightly tinted and I'd like to know the percentage.
thanks.

1slofofo 01-14-2013 05:30 PM

I've been curious, too.

felixdd 01-14-2013 09:38 PM

Judging by the cars on the lot when I shopped around, not to any appreciable amount

Ox-y-GenIII 01-15-2013 04:06 AM

They have a UV solar tint only. Not a visible darkness to it. I bought 32% tint for my car and when pulled over it measured 28% if that matters. Either a flux in the tint itself or the stock windows are tinted very slightly to about 96% (or 4% from 100% visibility).

1badgmc 01-15-2013 07:40 AM

Most "clear" glass on cars these days is going to be around 70%. If your state checks window tint with their safety inspections, you might stop in and see if they can put a meter on it for you.

mishka 02-12-2013 01:55 AM

I just got my glass tinted all around with a 5% strip. I got the higher quality one for $300 total. They said it was Solar Guard and Llumar. They said my stock tint was at about 67% , so I chose their 45%, which they said would bring it down to 38% total. If I had chosen their 35% film, they said it would have brought it down to 28-30% so I decided not to risk it and go with 38% as MD law allows 35% . Looks great so far, only thing I noticed is the strip's alignment is about 1mm too high on the driver's AS-1 line and about 1mm too low on the passenger's AS-1. It might be the AS-1's are off, I haven't measured mine yet. If they are not I might go back in to get it adjusted.

1rkRAGE 02-12-2013 08:02 AM

wouldn't it be .67 * .45 = .3015?

1badgmc 02-12-2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mishka (Post 4584137)
Looks great so far, only thing I noticed is the strip's alignment is about 1mm too high on the driver's AS-1 line and about 1mm too low on the passenger's AS-1. It might be the AS-1's are off, I haven't measured mine yet. If they are not I might go back in to get it adjusted.

I'm sure your AS-1 marks are even. It's really not hard to end up with a slightly crooked eyebrow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1rkRAGE (Post 4584257)
wouldn't it be .67 * .45 = .3015?

Yes. ~30%

mishka 02-12-2013 09:01 AM

I guess I should have done the math, however I figured I would trust them because I assumed there was some other variable/s to account for other than % tint, for example, thickness or something else.
In that case I will ask them if they can even out the eyebrow strip. They also said they can take a look at the rear flaps install, my lamin-x brake tint kit install, and my window rain deflector kit install. He said they could put in the brake tint I have for $20 for each brake (seems like a bit much). Although I can probly do the rain deflectors myself.

1badgmc 02-12-2013 09:10 AM

Just keep in mind that tint percentages are more of an approximation than an exact science. You can take 2 rolls of the same film from the same manufacturer and end up with them being different by a percentage point or two just from variables in the dyeing process. The same can be said for the actual glass. I always use 70% as the number for clear glass. It's usually +/- a few percentage points of 70. Even different meters can read the tint differently. I've had a car metered by 3 different cops, all on the same tint job, within weeks of each other and ended up with 3 different readings.