Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ford Focus & General Car Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Instant CARma is gunna get you... (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306551)

Slo86GT 01-14-2013 08:38 AM

Instant CARma is gunna get you...
 
So it's 5:15am this morning driving to work, I'm taking my time, cruising at or just above the speedlimit on the two lane per direction interstate. I stay in the slow lane because I'm not an asshat, and only move over to pass slow moving traffic when it's all clear for plenty of time to not interfere too badly with anyone else's travels.

Anyway. So I've got my cruise set. I come up to a semi that's running about 5mph less than me, I check the mirrors, no one in sight for 200yds+, just some headlights WAYYYY back. Blinker, and begin my crawl past.

These lights are coming up fairly quickly, the guy is probably cruising about 20-25mph over the speedlimit in what I later find out is a new silver Kia Optima. He proceeds to run me down as I get to the driver's door of the rig, and gets so close behind me that I can't see his headlights at all. I do what any normal driver would do. I turn off my cruise and coast down a few mph. He gets closer, so I tap my brake lightly just to turn on the lights, not affecting speed, but warning the guy that he's playing a very very bad game.

Enraged, the guy zooms around me in the emergency lane, and slams on the brakes once in front of me. Expecting this, I've already gotten behind the semi, using him as a post-man for this stupidity.

So the Optima, now totally pissed off, zooms away and not 100 yards later, BOOOOOM! He runs slap over the plastic bedliner that some unfortunate Texan truck owner lost on the highway.

I can't say I have ever felt more fulfilled in my life.

[cheers]

TL:DR - Korean car owner gets a big F U from some higher power in the universe for being a dillhole. Read it for more info. [neener]

rambleon84 01-14-2013 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slo86GT (Post 4538615)
I stay in the slow lane because I'm not an asshat, and only move over to pass slow moving traffic when it's all clear for plenty of time to not interfere too badly with anyone else's travels.

I'm always baffled why no one else seems to understand this. Also, the Kia should realize that you switched lanes only to pass a semi and would most likely moved back to the right afterwards...the rest of that is just uncalled for and dumb.

Holden 01-14-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rambleon84 (Post 4538666)
I'm always baffled why no one else seems to understand this.

From my travels (30+ countries), it's ONLY in the USA - which probably says a lot about our: (1) joke of a driver-licensing and training system; (2) ignorance; (3) moronity; and (4) selfishness.

Driving in Western Europe is like driving through Heaven - and not just because of the vistas.

Anyway, love the Optima Ass-Hat story.

Fattie 01-14-2013 10:33 AM

karma is a bitch. when i was 18 , i was shot at and almost run over by this crazy drug addict. Several years later... His house burned down.

Svizzara 01-14-2013 10:35 AM

You should've just gotten out of his way, especially since you were already at the truck's driver-side door by the time he ran up on you.

lyonsroar 01-14-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slo86GT (Post 4538615)
I do what any normal driver would do. I turn off my cruise and coast down a few mph. He gets closer, so I tap my brake lightly just to turn on the lights, not affecting speed, but warning the guy that he's playing a very very bad game.

So you antagonized him.

http://eduncovered.com/wp-content/up...-story-bro.jpg

whynotthinkwhynot 01-14-2013 11:23 AM

This reminds me of a great song that everyone should have in their iTunes if you like flying fast guitars and funny lyrics, but don't mind that the singer can't sing.

"I'm With Stupid", by Scatterbrain.

"Welcome to a world with a new kind of karma where we don't wait until you're dead! Reincarnation will come later, but for now you get this head instead."


Now for car advice: When I taught my wife how to drive 4 years ago. One of the things I instilled in her is that when you are going to pass- pass. Don't dilly dally around in the left hand lane going 1 mph faster than the vehicle you're passing. If you're using cruise control, it's ok if you hit the gas, it won't reset the cruise. Accelerate, pass, and then get back over and let the cruise take over again. Driving and blocking the left hand lane like that causes an obstruction. Just let the speeders go on by, and Johnny Law will do his job if it's needed. It is not your job to hold up traffic. For all you know you could be holding up someone in an emergency situation. How would you like to be responsible for keeping someone from getting to the hospital to see their relative near death? Of course not. She picked up on it.

We also maintain 2-4 car lengths of space behind the driver in front of us in most situations. We never push other drivers, just wait to pass.

swansong 01-14-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot (Post 4538807)
One of the things I instilled in her is that when you are going to pass- pass. Don't dilly dally around in the left hand lane going 1 mph faster than the vehicle you're passing. If you're using cruise control, it's ok if you hit the gas, it won't reset the cruise. Accelerate, pass, and then get back over and let the cruise take over again. Driving and blocking the left hand lane like that causes an obstruction.

+1. It's called a passing lane, so do some passing and move back over. I generally drive slower than the average driver, and stick to the right lane. When I pass in traffic, I'll increase speed to match the speed that lane is going, within reason. I have a 'personal limit' I'll speed up to, but won't match the guys going 25 over. Those people get their due eventually.

I also taught my wife how to drive interstate roads, she never got to get out of 55 mph single lane roads til she met me lol. Proper lane discipline was the first lesson.

Slo86GT 01-14-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lyonsroar (Post 4538754)

No way. No how. I was slowing down so that I could get out of his way, of course.

UMADBRO?

lyonsroar 01-14-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slo86GT (Post 4538923)
No way. No how. I was slowing down so that I could get out of his way, of course.

UMADBRO?

Why would I be mad?

You were passing a truck.
You saw someone screaming up behind you.
Instead of continuing at your current speed or even speeding up, you slowed down.
You antagonized him, plain and simple.


Fortunately "CARma" as you call it, goes both ways. Enjoy that when it gets to you.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:08 AM.