Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   02 cheater/tune help (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306514)

dudeitswillis 01-13-2013 08:05 PM

02 cheater/tune help
 
i plan buying header, cosworth intake manifold, and tune, but need to save the money up(allmost there). car is currently throwing Po420, so i know i need the cat. was already tested. need to know if the tune will let the vehicle still pass emmisons test, or if there is a was to"cheat" the downstream sensor so i can pass. i have an 05 2.0d

PSUrivie 01-13-2013 08:23 PM

The header will delete the cat. The tune will keep the CEL turning on with the header installed. IMHO, I wouldn't get the Cossie IM unless you plan on doing a real sick NA biuld of going FI. THe Cossie raises the torque curve up, which gives you more up top, but you lose torque on the bottom end.

I would get the header, wideband, and a tune. Do you have an intake and exhaust?

dudeitswillis 01-13-2013 08:39 PM

yes have intake and exhaust. plan on turbo down the road. cams soon. but will it pass emmisons with that o2 sensor deleted?

what purpose would the wideband serve? im not to firmiliar with them. its a air/fuel ratio guage right?

warneej 01-18-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSUrivie (Post 4538155)
IMHO, I wouldn't get the Cossie IM unless you plan on doing a real sick NA biuld of going FI. THe Cossie raises the torque curve up, which gives you more up top, but you lose torque on the bottom end.

This has been discussed a thousand times. Show me a dyno where you have a loss of torque anywhere over stock. It may not increase it as much at the low-end but it by no means decreases it anywhere. Amazing mod.

felixthecat 01-20-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudeitswillis (Post 4538132)
i plan buying header, cosworth intake manifold, and tune, but need to save the money up(allmost there). car is currently throwing Po420, so i know i need the cat. was already tested. need to know if the tune will let the vehicle still pass emmisons test, or if there is a was to"cheat" the downstream sensor so i can pass. i have an 05 2.0d

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudeitswillis (Post 4538174)
yes have intake and exhaust. plan on turbo down the road. cams soon. but will it pass emmisons with that o2 sensor deleted?

what purpose would the wideband serve? im not to firmiliar with them. its a air/fuel ratio guage right?

If your going w/ a turbo a little while later= Why buy a header? Put the header cash towards your turbo. Seems like you have to figure out which way you want to go.

sailor 01-21-2013 11:51 AM

Agreed!

For my 2 Cents I'd add that a bit more research & thinking needs to be done. Don't know the exact situation in Il. on emissions inspection, but in most places anything modified beyond Air filter & Cat back exhaust won't pass unless you get a friendly examiner &/or have it set up so the computer thinks all is well.... Something for the OP to research a bit B4 making decisions, then plan how he wants to handle it!

How you deal with this issue is unfortunately the main factor in what "mods." you can afford to do these days engine wise, some members (depending on where they live) have to return the car to "stock" every year just for their sticker....

Luck!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:01 AM.


http://www.focusfanatics.com/aboutus/copyright.asp