Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Folding Rear Back Seats (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306433)

dutd33 01-12-2013 03:15 PM

Folding Rear Back Seats

I saw this on a YouTube review of the Ford Focus hatch, but I noticed that the 2012 SEL versions have rear seats that fold up so that when you fold the seats down, you can have a totally flat cargo area. I'm not sure mine has that, hahaha. Is there a latch or something like that that releases it?

Thanks in advance.

dan50 01-12-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dutd33 (Post 4536789)
I saw this on a YouTube review of the Ford Focus hatch, but I noticed that the 2012 SEL versions have rear seats that fold up so that when you fold the seats down, you can have a totally flat cargo area. I'm not sure mine has that, hahaha. Is there a latch or something like that that releases it?

Thanks in advance.

No latch. Leave the seat backs upright. Then give a good upwards tug from the rear of the bottom seat cushion. It should also be explained in the Owner's Manual.

To get a flat load area, remove the headrests from the outboard seats and fold.

Strix 01-12-2013 03:58 PM

It may be necessary to move the front seats forward a bit, too, depending on where you have them. You can't have them all the way back with the rear seats folded.

I don't understand why they didn't just make the car a couple inches longer. It would have helped with the sparse rear leg-room, too.

suss6052 01-12-2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan50 (Post 4536796)
No latch. Leave the seat backs upright. Then give a good upwards tug from the rear of the bottom seat cushion. It should also be explained in the Owner's Manual.

To get a flat load area, remove the headrests from the outboard seats and fold.

There is a latch mechanism or the seat wouldn't stay in place on the floor, but yes there is no specific release mechanism other than yanking firmly on the seat base.

Deftmetal 01-12-2013 05:36 PM

Doesn't the seat bottom only fold up with the 60/40 split seat. I don't have the split seat and my bottom is attached in the middle so the back doesn't fold flat

Joeywhat 01-12-2013 05:43 PM

If you never have anyone in the back, you can also remove the seat bottoms so the front sights can be fully rearward and not interfere with the seat backs (when folded).

There's only two bolts per side.

Strix 01-13-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joeywhat (Post 4536938)
If you never have anyone in the back, you can also remove the seat bottoms so the front sights can be fully rearward and not interfere with the seat backs (when folded).

There's only two bolts per side.

I should do that.

I never have anyone in the back anymore because I'm too embarrassed to have people ride in my car and hear the clunks and feel the vibrations.

It makes me feel like a pathetic loser when people ask why I haven't gotten that stuff fixed. My passengers say "If a dealership screwed up my car, I'd blahblahblah"... and I have to tell them "I guess I'm just Ford's bitch."

GhiaFan 01-13-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deftmetal (Post 4536931)
Doesn't the seat bottom only fold up with the 60/40 split seat. I don't have the split seat and my bottom is attached in the middle so the back doesn't fold flat

If your car is as in your profile a SE trim level then you do have a split 60/40 seat function. Both seat cushion & seat backs.

I am curious , when you take delivery of your new cars in North America does the selling salesperson not go over the features and how things function prior
to you driving off into the sunset in your new wheels?
Or is it that even the salespeople do not know these simple things such as how 60/40 seats work in a modern day car?

Joeywhat 01-13-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strix (Post 4537543)
I should do that.

I never have anyone in the back anymore because I'm too embarrassed to have people ride in my car and hear the clunks and feel the vibrations.

It makes me feel like a pathetic loser when people ask why I haven't gotten that stuff fixed. My passengers say "If a dealership screwed up my car, I'd blahblahblah"... and I have to tell them "I guess I'm just Ford's bitch."

Perhaps you should sell the car if you're not happy with it?

Strix 01-13-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joeywhat (Post 4537911)
Perhaps you should sell the car if you're not happy with it?

Perhaps Ford should fix it, since it's their dealership that messed it up.

But you're right. I should sell it. Of course, I'm not the kind of person to unload defective merchandise on people.... which is what my car is now, sadly.