Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Have you ever noticed this when you are low on fuel?? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306427)

dpando1 01-12-2013 02:02 PM

Have you ever noticed this when you are low on fuel??

The other day I was driving around going to school and what was bothering me the most was how sluggish I thought my car felt. It required ample pressure on the break to change lanes and to get down the road before lights went red [thumb]haha
It felt as if I was headed straight into 60mph winds or something!

Then I fill my tank and the problem is gone!! So My only conclusion is that when the tank is low your car goes into gas sippin mode or something...anyone else notice this?

btw this is my first post here on ffanatics...and I just wanna say you guys rock[cheers]

Joey D 01-12-2013 03:30 PM

It's probably all the crap in your tank getting clogged in the pickup, which is reducing the fuel flow.

focusonthefocus19 01-12-2013 04:29 PM

So you had to put more pressure on the brake pedal to change lanes, because your car felt sluggish?

Brake pedal, really? Well that might be your problem there! LOL

dpando1 01-12-2013 04:34 PM

OH SORRY! Ha I was writing this quickly before I did work outside! I meant gas and that is a great point hahaha but yeah I meant gas...

and you know what that could very well be true the clogging of fuel flow....how would I be able to diagnose such a thing and know forsure?

It was doing this just before the gas light came on

slybarman 01-12-2013 04:40 PM

To be fair, he said it was the break pedal, not the brake pedal. Who knows what that one does? :D

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using FF Mobile.

dpando1 01-12-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slybarman (Post 4536864)
To be fair, he said it was the break pedal, not the brake pedal. Who knows what that one does? :D

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using FF Mobile.

hahaha so I totally failed on my first post....

BUT no one else has experienced this?? if not than I really gotta buy better gasoline or something

mikebontoft 01-12-2013 04:55 PM

Since SOMEONE is gonna say it, I guess I'll be that person. Don't run your tank that low, that's how you avoid it. In-tank fuel pumps are cooled by the liquid fuel that they are submerged in. Once you get that low, the potential to overheat the pump and decrease it's life is exponential. And the focus tank is not the most fun tank to drop.

kam327 01-12-2013 05:03 PM

I run my tank down to less than a gallon frequently and I've never experienced that.

dpando1 01-12-2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikebontoft (Post 4536879)
Since SOMEONE is gonna say it, I guess I'll be that person. Don't run your tank that low, that's how you avoid it. In-tank fuel pumps are cooled by the liquid fuel that they are submerged in. Once you get that low, the potential to overheat the pump and decrease it's life is exponential. And the focus tank is not the most fun tank to drop.

I totally agree with you on that....and I should but is it possible for me to do so, not really. Unfortunately its very expensive to go to school nowadays. and due to how little classes are offered at any one school in my area I need I am driving everywhere. So i am forced to stretch my tank frequently...

thanks for that info though. So is that what is causing the sluggishness at around lets say 50-60 miles of tank left?

dpando1 01-12-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kam327 (Post 4536889)
I run my tank down to less than a gallon frequently and I've never experienced that.

that's what Im pretty much forced to do all the time...what's wierd though is once I pop in like 10 bucks of fuel it stops....[scratch]

I thought it was some cool feature that decreased fuel consumption when the tank was low lol