Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Overall Satisfaction w/Focus DCT (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306385)

WizeGuyDezignz 01-11-2013 04:06 PM

Overall Satisfaction w/Focus DCT

A fellow member here VOLDAR brought up a good point. Let's do a poll on the overall feeling about the DCT. We have some vocal people on this board that absolutely hate it. To the point that they took a loss and dumped their Focus.

I'm sure there is a mixed crowd about this topic, but let's find out! For reference, I have had a 2012 Focus for about 8 months now with DCT, and I've had zero problems.....so far. I am very low on mileage at 7,700. So I will have to wait and see.

So have at it and make your choice! Discussion is welcome, but let's please try to keep it semi-civil lol.

All thanks go to VOLDAR for the idea!

AZfocus2012 01-11-2013 04:30 PM

I had to go with satisfied. There have been times when I have been not satisfied, like after all of the three updates I have had the dealer do and it was relearning everything. I think they could include some base parameters that could be a whole lot better than this thing starting off completely clueless as to how to and when to shift until you drive it a few hundred miles. PITA. Now, after 17,000 miles, I am mostly satisfied and occasionally more than satisfied, but extremely satisfied seemed over the top for how I feel. I don't think the DCT is any kinda deal breaker, and I am waiting for Ford to adapt it to the ST. Then I will consider upgrading to the ST, as I am over shifting gears in my DD.

the_dog 01-11-2013 04:56 PM

It would be interesting to also include the model year of Focus, since it seems at least that those with '13 Foci aren't having as many problems.

Strix 01-11-2013 05:06 PM

Need option: It was OK before Ford 'fixed' it. I'll just mark 'extremely disappointed', I guess. Last summer I would have picked 'extremely satisfied'. What a difference a dealership visit or 6 can make.

I've had the clutch/oil seal TSB done and it's tolerable for now, but it's certainly nothing like what I purchased.

The car I purchased didn't have gaps in power delivery between gears and it didn't roll back 2 seconds after being parked. While it was way too eager to upshift, at least it worked like a DCT is supposed to, with a nice seamless and barely perceptible transition between gears. It sure as hell isn't like that now, and I doubt that it ever will be again, considering the brand new ones I've driven have these same flaws.

I don't think the DCT hardware is too bad, even though I've already dealt with a shoddy seal, but the software is absolutely atrocious. And like a lot of software, it seems to be getting worse with every update.

kam327 01-11-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_dog (Post 4535810)
It would be interesting to also include the model year of Focus, since it seems at least that those with '13 Foci aren't having as many problems.

I don't know about that, it appears by most accounts that both the '12s and '13s have the same hardware and software (provided the '12s have been updated properly). It's probably just that the '13s haven't been out as long; sometimes the DCT quirks take time to manifest.

VOLDAR 01-11-2013 07:28 PM

I voted extremely satisfied, because it is the reality. I don't even try to compare the DCT with any slushboxes I drove (not owned though). I come from a life driving MT so my impressions may be biassed, because the DCT is acting more like a MT and not an slashbox AT. I am for sure not "conditionned" to "slushbox driving experience" and I love it. Yes, I know it can be the "mother of all the frustrations" when it is not programmed properly (because of poor technical expertise of the people working in some Ford dealerships, mostly). My advice to those who experience these problems would be : change the F... dealer ! Get a second opinion ! Do something to solve your problems. The time you spend here complaining day long about the DCT is time lost for you getting the DCT fixed. Because IT CAN BE FIXED ! I had problems with my DCT after an update, but I chose to focus on finding a solution to my problem, not on bashing on the forum against DCT. And the problem was solved - the dealer from whom I bought the car was changed for a better one too ! So, yes, I enjoy driving my FF and WizeGuyDezignz, I thank you for mentionning my name, but you did the poll. So, kudos to you !

Strix 01-11-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VOLDAR (Post 4535989)
My advice to those who experience these problems would be : change the F... dealer !

Yes, that is the correct course of action. Do not contact customer service because they will just refer you to a defender of the dealership that caused your problems. Just drive to another dealer and pretend like you never visited the first one.

That's what I should have done several months ago.

Oh well... live and learn.

Woggy64 01-11-2013 07:41 PM

I selected Satisfied - although Very Satisfied would have been my pick. Extremely Satisfied was too far of a reach for me :)

It's a DCT, it is not an automatic transmission. Maybe we should just call it what it is - a computer controlled manual?

Joey D 01-11-2013 08:24 PM

I hated it before the dealership fixed it. Now it's fine. I wouldn't say it's the best transmission I've ever experienced but it moves the car in the direction I intend it too, so I can't complain.

jswisc 01-11-2013 08:37 PM

Duct

12' SEL. Purchased at 12k as a Ford exec unit. 22k now and I like the trans. Not always as smooth as an auto but that's because it's not one. I like the mileage that results. SATISFIED!