Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Can the EXTRA windshield wipers wipe be turned off? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306286)

Gabe2010SE 01-10-2013 03:07 PM

Can the EXTRA windshield wipers wipe be turned off?

It drives me absolutely insane.

I drive, I push in the wiper/washer controller and the washer/wipers wash / wipe the windshield, then a few seconds later the wipers wipe one more time and they smear all over the windshield whatever new dirt or whatever extra water/liquid drops might've gotten on the windshield.

Now I have to wash/wipe again and hope that nothing else has gotten onto the windshield so that the extra wipe won't make the windshield dirty, THIS time.

I absolutely freakin hate this "feature", I have it on the Mustang, the Focus, and the GF has it on her Fiesta.

It makes me wonder if Ford's "engineers" ever drove these cars in misty rain or light slush or any other kind of conditions where having this "feature" would make the driver go insane.

So, anybody know of a way to disable the extra wipers wipe?

I'm assuming it would have to be done with the IDS, but I know Ford techs that could do it if it's possible ...

crazy_urn 01-10-2013 03:19 PM

this has been a complaint of some people for years. I have not seen a solution.

I just slam on my brakes during the pause before the last wipe, to get the extra fluid on top of the windshield down...

rambleon84 01-10-2013 03:32 PM

i like it actually... when ever i clean the windows, there is always some that drip from the top of the window down...over/excess spray. this saves me from having to manually hit the switch.

I must be in the minority [scratch]

zetecDon 01-10-2013 03:45 PM

Moved to "General Technical Chat". I have no problems with the extra swipe. I always thought it worked out great as rambleon84 had stated. Sometimes you just get that extra spray at the top that wants to run right down in front of your field of view. Then the wipers come back on and take away that excess.

BLRich1 01-10-2013 03:49 PM

I think there is a setting to turn it off. Take a peek in the owners manual. My '03 svt does not do it but my '04 does.

Ger's 2012 Focus 01-10-2013 03:51 PM

"I just slam on my brakes during the pause before the last wipe, to get the extra fluid on top of the windshield down... "

Really?

Why not go faster and watch it climb back up the windshield? That never happened to me before, because my windshield was not laid back so far on an Escape like it is on the Focus.

1slofofo 01-10-2013 04:18 PM

I like it 90% of the time. Depends on what kind of dirty the window is, snow or dust/dirt.

Deftmetal 01-10-2013 06:01 PM

I like it until I forget about it and hit the wipers on to get rid of a drip. I always seem to make it wipe twice

badazz2010focus 01-10-2013 06:03 PM

drives me nuts to LOL

Sniper Focus 01-10-2013 06:12 PM

I like it because there's always that drip that comes down. Also this is the first car that I've driven that has that drip when I wash the window.