Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Military Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Recruiter problems (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306283)

kirkus8 01-10-2013 01:36 PM

Recruiter problems

Hey guys so I am in the dep for the Air Force right now and recently was told I will be leaving may 7th with an open mechanical contract. Right after finding out this info I was told I have to sign up for six years when I already signed for 4. Well I do not want to go to basic without a garunteed job if possible. I would accept open general but would prefer to be garunteed air traffic control or sensor operator. I just told my recruiter that I want these two jobs and going open mechanical for six years is unacceptable. I'm hoping she will budge and get me a job or open general so I can actually enjoy my time in. What are your thoughts on this matter? I have thought about going army atc or air force reserves loadmaster. Both garunteed

WiscoGTI 01-27-2013 02:51 AM

From what I've heard with the Air Force, your job is not guaranteed at the time you sign your contract. You don't even find out what job you got until towards the end of basic training.

If you want a guaranteed job, you need to go Army/Marines. At least that's how it was when I signed.

Sent from my Man Cannon via FF Mobile

blackcervini 01-27-2013 09:38 PM

About the only jobs that you can get a guarantee for are critical short like Combat Control and Pararescue. Combat Control would get you the Air Traffic Control career you mentioned, not to mention a mean bonus in the process. Did it for 11 years.

TheGlassMaker 01-27-2013 09:41 PM

Jobs are guaranteed in the Navy too.

novus 01-27-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirkus8 (Post 4534176)
Hey guys so I am in the dep for the Air Force right now and recently was told I will be leaving may 7th with an open mechanical contract. Right after finding out this info I was told I have to sign up for six years when I already signed for 4. Well I do not want to go to basic without a garunteed job if possible. I would accept open general but would prefer to be garunteed air traffic control or sensor operator. I just told my recruiter that I want these two jobs and going open mechanical for six years is unacceptable. I'm hoping she will budge and get me a job or open general so I can actually enjoy my time in. What are your thoughts on this matter? I have thought about going army atc or air force reserves loadmaster. Both garunteed

If this is your attitude now, you're not going to even make it though BMT. Even though that's been sissified for all the complainers. Start to realize that nothing in the military is guaranteed. So be prepared for a nice eye awakening. But be lucky you're even in the DEP program. You do realize that the recruiting quota is so small now and it's a VERY selective process now a days right? Start appreciating that you even made it this far.

Signals Intel in the USAF.

jdubhack 01-27-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WiscoGTI (Post 4559059)
From what I've heard with the Air Force, your job is not guaranteed at the time you sign your contract. You don't even find out what job you got until towards the end of basic training.

If you want a guaranteed job, you need to go Army/Marines. At least that's how it was when I signed.

Sent from my Man Cannon via FF Mobile

That's not correct. It depends in what AFSC is chosen and the manning in those fields.

To the OP: DO NOT GO IN OPEN GENERAL.

I went in in 2003 guaranteed Combat Control. Prior to that I had a guarantee as a crew chief on F-16s. If your recruiter is worth a lick she can get you a guaranteed contract.

150mphzetec 01-27-2013 09:54 PM

4 years, 6 years, there really is no difference once you are actually in an doing it. If getting a guarantee means putting in more time then do it. Otherwise go to the Navy recruiter

NotAnSES 02-08-2013 10:59 PM

To the OP: I went in Open General. I got a really good job (3E9X1) Emergency Management. I love my job. It offers alot on the outside. The AF will do great things for you, if you are willing to put in the time and make sacrifices.