Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Electrical issue (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306213)

SWEGER 01-09-2013 05:51 PM

Electrical issue

I've searched on this issue before, but everything I have found to be a cause of it I have already fixed.

I have a flickering-type issue with my 03 SVT. While at idle, my lights on my dash, map lights, brake lights, etc flicker (kind of, they never actually go out, but they pulsate between bright and dim). I have replaced my battery, alternator (new, not rebuilt), alternator connector (pigtail), and battery terminal connectors. I had Auto Zone check out my battery and alternator, and they said both were good. All my grounds seem to be tight and clean. I am at a dead end on this...any insight would be greatly appreciated.

SVTFOCI03 01-09-2013 10:25 PM

I have the same issue and replaced the alternator twice and put an optima in it... I heard if you turn the dimmer switch down a little from the max it fixes it but it didn't change mine...

zetecDon 01-10-2013 12:44 AM

Moved to "General Technical Chat".

SWEGER 01-10-2013 11:04 AM

I am thinking that it might be a grounding issue since I redid those at the same time the rest of the electrical work was done. I'm going to redo the main grounds in the engine bay (battery to chassis, engine to chassis, and the other one) and see if that helps. Any suggestions on the gauge and type of wire needed for this?

cbf1989 01-11-2013 11:59 AM

I'm actually going through the same exact issue right now. I havnt changed anything out yet except the battery and ofcourse it still does the flickering. Thanks for letting us know what you did so far. Saves me from having to change all that out myself.
My next step was going to change out all the ground and such as well, but like you asked, what is the best gauge to use?

NSTSVT 01-12-2013 07:40 PM

Wow. I thought I was on my own w this, as I thought it to be possibly due to a previous fender bender.
SYMPTOM:My dash lights (not radio or dials lighting) will flicker or drain or almost no lighting, again only speedo/ rpm location. As stated if I catch while it starts, I can turn down the illumination potentiometer or dial and it usually holds. I have also a problem with the horn going in op ( perhaps electrically related? )
QUESTION: What/where is the wiring or junction related to the power for the dash and the interior dials? Has anyone figured it to be tied to the illumination dial (potentiometer)?

Any assistance appreciated

smallblockfever 01-18-2013 11:22 AM

not meaning to thread jack here, but im like the rest of you guys and have the same issue.
It used to do it really bad, then i replaced the alternator and it was clearly flickering with the stereo, so i replaced the battery. Fixed a majority of the problem, but its still flickering.
My mechanic says its the ECU playing tricks because of my broken 02 sensors.
But I have an inkling that its the plethora of wires going to my battery.

see my svt wasnt exactly cared for when i bought it.... shes getting the love she needs now but im having to piece it back together. On that note, theres about 6 wires running to my battery, three at each terminal, and half of the wires are crudely spliced together. My thought here is that I need to fish down these wires and make sure it's all solidly connected.

Im gonna suggest that y'all do the same and just make sure your battery connections are solid and wont give you any problems at any end of the cables.

svtguy88 01-18-2013 04:58 PM

Replace your grounds (battery to chassis and engine to chassis) with something less meh than factory cables. I have this problem on mine, but it only shows up when my system is up pretty loud.

Ptreezx3 01-28-2013 11:30 PM

Same issue here. Yet to figure out and it kills me. Sure is something stupid.

baldyredtx 02-01-2013 07:46 PM

I'm having the same issue. My started after I installed Mach headlights. It is completely random. I have tried the dimmer switch and that does not work. I have a new alternator and battery. I was going to work on the grounds. Where is the engine ground?