Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Restarting Issue (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=305931)

JJMcKinney 01-06-2013 05:28 PM

Restarting Issue

While I was driving, my 2003 Ford Focus 2.0 SOHC split port just stopped, no warning, no noise, nothing, just stopped running. When I tried to restart it, the motor will turn over like it wants to start, but will not catch. I just replaced the idler pulley as well as baring went out. Since the re-starting issue, I have checked the fuel pump and it checks out fine, checked the spark and is getting spark, compression is good. Replaced the spark plugs, and fuel filter, but nothing. I also verified the timing belt was intact and not broke nor missing teeth. Today I replaced the Cam position sensor and still nothing. I'm starting to think it could be the crank sensor, but not 100% sure and do not have my tools with me to test it. The focus has 104000 on it and now I am stumped as to what the problem might be. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank you!

tmittelstaedt 01-07-2013 03:04 AM

put a scan tool on it and are there any trouble codes?

whynotthinkwhynot 01-07-2013 06:09 AM

Crank position sensor bad = no spark.

You might have weak spark, have you done a resistance test on the coil? I've had this problem once- where I used a spark plug tester (timing light), and it flashed, but I was getting a weak spark. I don't know what spark plug tester you used, but a resistance test might be prudent at this point. You'd find high primary resistance in this case. I don't know specs for the Focus, but typically anything over 15 ohms is not good.

Fuel injection fuse? That protects power to the injectors, but not the fuel pump. You'd have good fuel pressure right up to the rail. Test for power to ground on one of the injectors. You should get power on one side. In most cases where I've tested injectors the injector has power on one side, then when it operates, the ground is what is switched.

JJMcKinney 01-07-2013 06:28 AM

Posted via FF Mobile
Thank you I will have to check those things out, as there are no trouble codes I may just take it to a shop as most of this is outside what I know how to do and don't have the proper tools to do it

JJMcKinney 01-11-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot (Post 4528903)
Crank position sensor bad = no spark.

You might have weak spark, have you done a resistance test on the coil? I've had this problem once- where I used a spark plug tester (timing light), and it flashed, but I was getting a weak spark. I don't know what spark plug tester you used, but a resistance test might be prudent at this point. You'd find high primary resistance in this case. I don't know specs for the Focus, but typically anything over 15 ohms is not good.

Fuel injection fuse? That protects power to the injectors, but not the fuel pump. You'd have good fuel pressure right up to the rail. Test for power to ground on one of the injectors. You should get power on one side. In most cases where I've tested injectors the injector has power on one side, then when it operates, the ground is what is switched.

Where is the Fuel injection fuse located, I cannot seem to locate it and it's not listed in my owners manual?

whynotthinkwhynot 01-11-2013 11:12 AM

My bad. I don't own one of those exact Focis, so things can be a bit different. It's probably #9 under the hood which is the Engine management fuse. First you should check the fuel injection for voltage with the key turned ON.