Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Looking to do some cheap power mods, keeping the warranty (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=305752)

ripto 01-04-2013 09:17 PM

Looking to do some cheap power mods, keeping the warranty

So I got my '12 Focus SE 5spd in 6/2012 and I've been thinking about doing some cheap and easy mods to get some power, keeping in mind that I'm only at 7k miles, so still under the factory warranty. I plan to keep the car for probably 5 years or so, so I'd like to improve some things where I can, when I can.

On my '98 Dodge Ram I did some basic modding... cold air intake/round air cleaner, magnaflow cat, flowmaster muffler single in/dual out, hypertech programmer (stage 1 as its called on motorcycles - intake, exhaust, and tune), fastman throttle body... I'm assuming all I can really do at this point is intake and exhaust for the Focus. I really don't know much about the Focus and what products are out there (is the only intake mod out there a CAI? do I need a resonator? what size is my exhaust pipe?) so I guess I need to put in the time to research those items, but all in all, I'm looking to spend under a grand to get some cheap, but hopefully noticeable power.

Another thing. Assuming I keep the same driving style, I'd expect the same or slightly higher mpgs. Regarding seeing the effects of these mods... will I see them at anything under 4k RPM? Are they really only worth it if I'm driving it hard? Will I still notice improvements as a daily driver/conservative driver?

Lot of questions here that I've been meaning to ask, and I really want to get the ball rolling. Thanks for any input.

BLRich1 01-04-2013 09:22 PM

Moved to "DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-2013)"

Sonic_HedgeHog 01-04-2013 09:30 PM

Try searching and looking at the plethora of already existing mod threads...

ripto 01-06-2013 01:47 AM

I have tried searching, and I've only come across a couple threads that briefly mention what I'm looking for. Most of the time the searches bring up boredom threads, picture threads, or welcome to FF threads. I know there is a ton of information out there, I'm just trying to get people's opinion.

Ultimately, I'd like to be able to say, I want to spend $700, what intake/exhaust should I look at?

sam fisher 01-06-2013 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ripto (Post 4527456)
I have tried searching, and I've only come across a couple threads that briefly mention what I'm looking for. Most of the time the searches bring up boredom threads, picture threads, or welcome to FF threads. I know there is a ton of information out there, I'm just trying to get people's opinion.

Ultimately, I'd like to be able to say, I want to spend $700, what intake/exhaust should I look at?

Fswerks is my suggestion.

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using FF Mobile

ripto 01-06-2013 01:55 AM

Let me rephrase my post a little. What would also be helpful is what brands are the more common brands out there, so then I could go ahead figure out which suit me.

Intake (don't really know the options here... are they all "cold air intakes"?) - K&N, Steeda ...
Exhaust (looking for a non-ricey sound, maybe single out in stock location or dual out in stock location and mirror on the driver's side) - Flowmaster, Magnaflow, FSWerks, Borla ...

_RED_ 01-06-2013 08:35 AM

Steedas power Pack adds a good kick for a low price. With the intake and exhaust you get a decent bump in TQ that is noticeable. Also look at the dyno thread stickied at the top of this forum and see what people have done.

Joey D 01-06-2013 08:58 AM

The Magnaflow exhaust is really nice, I have it on my car and it sounds great. The Steeda intake is also top notch and a really quality product.

Also don't worry about the warranty, unless you are tearing apart the engine a dealer really isn't going to care. I've had my car in numerous times with the intake and exhaust and the only thing that's ever been said to me about it was from the tech asking me where I bought the stuff so he could get it for his car.

Sonic_HedgeHog 01-06-2013 09:15 AM

Here's a little PRIMER! It doesn't include everything (we're still adding to it) but it'll get you going... You're honestly not searching or reading enough... Look at the Mk3 "Post your Mod pics..."Here And just look at the pictures...

Sonic_HedgeHog 01-06-2013 09:22 AM

This is the dyno thread for proven results with various combos: Dyno Thread