Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Headlight covers (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=305598)

mishka 01-03-2013 01:03 PM

Headlight covers

Hello. What is better, head light covers or changing the bulbs? Or both? I'm guessing covers are generally cheaper.
I have a 2013 Black SE 4dr with SE appearance (fog lights, spoiler, etc). I was thinking of getting covers from Lamin-x - the gunsmoke headlight covers and optical blue foglight covers. What do you guys think of that?

Also, I want to cover the center tail light and the side mirror turn signal light. Should I just get the gunmetal sheet and cut it out myself?
Also will optical blue be any good for the side mirror turn signal light? My only concern is the orange light will mix with optical blue and create green...

Green would be cool if it wasnt so.... non-discrete... lol

Part #: F037
Part #: F637
Part #: 1-424

Let me know guys, thanks.

mishka 01-03-2013 01:06 PM

will it look weird if headlights are gunmetal and fog lights are optical blue? Should I just do all the front lights optical blue? ahhh so hard to decide...

RonMaiden 01-03-2013 03:17 PM

If it inhibits light output then I'd avoid any goofy colors and stick with what makes you able to see at night better.

mishka 01-03-2013 03:51 PM

https://www.lamin-x.com/ProductDetai...=F037&CartID=1
Tint is our lightest film that blocks only 5% of light
Gunsmoke is our medium film that blocks 12% of light
Smoke is our medium-dark film that blocks 17% of light
Charcoal is our black-out film that blocks 30% of light

In that case, I can get tint on the brake lights and I guess i'll do blue lights everywhere else (front, fog, side mirror turn signal)

What do you think?

1slofofo 01-03-2013 04:18 PM

Turn signal lights should be amber by law, don't forget that.
But don't get too dark of a tint, it'll attract attention during the day, and unless you drive in well lit cities, might get you into an accident.

I've also heard that because of the shape of these headlights/taillights, the lamin-x is hard to apply. I did yellow on my fogs without taking them off, and it took a good 15 minutes.

mishka 01-03-2013 04:22 PM

After doing some research online (read it on a acura forum) I found out that, in Virginia, the front headlights must be clear, otherwise it's illegal. I'm assuming the same thing for fog lights? Or is it legal to color just the fog lights?

If I tint the side mirror turn signal, it will still technically be amber correct?

At least I can still legally tint the tail lights...

Touring05 01-03-2013 04:46 PM

I suggest changing your bulbs. Don't waste your money on the cover. I bought pre-cut headlight covers in the summer and they were very hard to apply due to the shape. I ended up creasing it so I trashed it. The fog lights on the other hand were very easy, just stick and peal. For the mirror turn signals and center of tailight, you can buy a sheet and cut it yourself. Keep us updated![wiggle]

1slofofo 01-03-2013 11:49 PM

I don't think custom fog colors are illegal, as long as they're not red or a sharp blue (police blue). Mirror signal shouldn't be as bad, as long as front ones are unobscured. Mirror is just added safety benefit.

mishka 04-06-2013 11:53 PM

I have the Lamin-x optic blue on the fogs now.

Overall I'm pretty happy with them. During the day, while off, the fog lights look blue. When on they look a bit whiter than the headlights, so, they don't look blue, turned on, when you're looking at them. However, from the driver's seat, with both fogs and headlights on, you can really see the difference as the light made by the fogs is white/blue and the headlight light is yellowish. The blue fog light actually helps me a lot in the fog - I can see much better. Plus I love the effect :) Next is to get a white/blue light bulb.

Pennut 04-07-2013 12:21 PM

Just my 2 cents, but I don't make any mods on my cars that sacrifice safety for looks. I don't believe in headlight or taillight covers. I was behind a car the other day and he had spray tinted the taillights so dark, that when he came to a stop you could barely see the brake lights. I mean barely, like a penlight was being shone through them. The headlights and taillights are there for a reason. To see and make yourself seen. Doing mods that are illegal or a safety violation sets you up for trouble in an accident.