Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Forced Induction (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   MAF Setup Options? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=305396)

AMMO-Duke 12-31-2012 02:36 PM

MAF Setup Options?

I will be doing my first turbo build soon and I want to know what are all the options available for the MAF setup on a Duratec? It sounds like a lot go with a larger tube w/ stock MAF and re-tune? What about MAFia? I have zero experience with one. Are there any aftermarket MAF's available for our car? What is more tuneable, accurate, reliable, etc.?

Here are the specifics:

-05' Duratec 2.0, stock
-T-3 50 trim .48 A/R (I know this turbo is small, but that is what I have. I am just looking for good torque/mid range and fun to drive around town. I'll save the big HP for my second turbo build!)
-this will be a blowthrough set-up
-10 psi max

Please keep in mind the following:

-Tuneability and driveability are very important
-I do my own tuning
-I will be going with 60lb injectors
-In the future, I will go with a built 2.3, bigger turbo, more boost, and I dont want to have to upgrade the MAF setup or injectors again (if possible)

Thanks for your inputs, I have really learned a lot from reading this forum so far.

MustangCRZY302 12-31-2012 03:15 PM

For my Mustang, I use a Abaco MAF meter. Fully tunable, not sure if they offer anything small enough for the 4cyl. I run a 95mm one on the Mustang.

koke'sfocus 12-31-2012 04:06 PM

Mafia it's a good way to do a blowthru setup that's what I have but some people here said to me is not necessary it's ur call I would recommend u to get it for the later 2nd turbo build

ZXthrizzle05 12-31-2012 06:17 PM

just get mafia adapter for stock maf, its how most of us run it, I am running a 05 mustang maf with mafia adapter

burke_024 01-27-2013 07:53 PM

dead thread i know but you said stock maf but then you use a mustang maf ? is it a stock zetec maf in a mustang housing oooooor?

1turbofocus 01-27-2013 08:42 PM

The way I feel it should be done is a stock Focus MAF electronics in a 3 inch MAF tube and a diablosport MAFia

Anyone that says a MAFia isnt needed I would be very cautious of even for 250 HP

Tom

Turbo Turtle 01-27-2013 09:27 PM

ever used a pro-m maf on a duratec tom? ashley has one on his duratec. making 300whp now with no mafia. i was with him at henson performance last time it was tuned and i was very impressed with it. he switched from a 15g to a 28rs and it was able to maintain proper a/f before the tune was even adjusted no matter what the boost was set at.

Tim

ZXthrizzle05 01-27-2013 09:29 PM

I run mafia because I was told so [slap]

Jgrove998 01-28-2013 06:07 AM

I ran a 3" MAF tube with stock MAF and no MAFia. 8 psi, 218whp, 216wtq.

Low end drive-abilty was effected some because the air was moving so slow over the MAF but I never had any problems.

1turbofocus 01-28-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbo Turtle (Post 4560245)
ever used a pro-m maf on a duratec tom? ashley has one on his duratec. making 300whp now with no mafia. i was with him at henson performance last time it was tuned and i was very impressed with it. he switched from a 15g to a 28rs and it was able to maintain proper a/f before the tune was even adjusted no matter what the boost was set at.

Tim

Yes I used pro-m MAF for years , I even sold pro-m there first 3 inch MAF tubes , they sell 2 types Tim what one are you talking about the adjusted MAF for the injectors your running or the 3 inch MAF tube and the stock MAF electronics installed

The recalibrated MAF adjusted to the injector size is the same things basically as using the diablosport MAFia the hugh difference is if the recalibrated MAF goes out and you have to change it (it happened a lot with me) you cannot get an ecact calibration back and have to return your full fuel curve as where if you use the stock MAF electronics in the 3 inch MAF tube the stock MAF is spot on if you have to replace it

jgrove at 218HP and 8psi I would say with a 3 inch MAF tube your right at the 5 volt limit of the MAF just before running out of MAF

In the end what I look for is whats going to give the best driveability and over all performance , WOT is easy anyone can tune that and most any MAF or combination will work ,

When your finished tuning you want the MAF voltage / counts to be in the 4.5 to 4.8 voltage range this helps to have the idle voltage / counts as well as cruise to be where they can give you the the best area for the best driveability

What I WILL NOT DO like some tuners do is let the MAF settings hit 5 volts and then go to the failed MAF tables to do your fueling for WOT , this in my opinion is not proper tuning but its done all the time

Tom