Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   How do I install glass pack 2001 zx3? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=305151)

hoovalitious 12-28-2012 03:11 AM

How do I install glass pack 2001 zx3?

The question isn't just how to install it, that's a bit straight foreword. However, I was wondering more about what i shouldn't [I]uninstall. [I] I have a glass pack that I got and here's my plan: install the muffler on the straight part of the exhaust, and delete the large stock muffler. However, the focus comes with 2 mufflers. So my question is, is the second muffler (the one closest to the bumper) more of a resonator? I don't want to get pulled over for sound issues, I just want the glass pack on there. Should I delete the first muffler and keep the second, or delete both? Thank you for any help

katiekay 12-28-2012 04:55 AM

[welcome] to FF [ffrocks]

Another Colorado Focus owner! I am in the Springs!

The one closest to the bumper is the resonator, more commonly referred to as the lunchbox. People delete that one for more sound. The one in the middle is the muffler.

sleepyboy 12-28-2012 05:32 AM

Are you sure, I'm pretty sure the lunch box is the muffler? Pretty sure that's why the aftermarket exhausts have "resonators" in the strait portion and the "muffler" at the rear.

katiekay 12-28-2012 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepyboy (Post 4515166)
Are you sure, I'm pretty sure the lunch box is the muffler? Pretty sure that's why the aftermarket exhausts have "resonators" in the strait portion and the "muffler" at the rear.

That's what I thought. Everyone who wants a louder sound for cheap cuts off the lunchbox. So I just assume its called a resonator[dunno]

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile

sleepyboy 12-28-2012 07:26 AM

I say get rid of all of them together and go with a after market setup for better sound and more performance, but that's just me. If it's going to sound better might as well perform better too.

katiekay 12-28-2012 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepyboy (Post 4515191)
I say get rid of all of them together and go with a after market setup for better sound and more performance, but that's just me. If it's going to sound better might as well perform better too.

Agree.

What is a glasspack?

Joeywhat 12-28-2012 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyroinsa (Post 4515193)
Agree.

What is a glasspack?

Cherry bomb.

katiekay 12-28-2012 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joeywhat (Post 4515198)
Cherry bomb.

Still a lil confused. Is this just an added part to make obnoxious noise?

Joeywhat 12-28-2012 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyroinsa (Post 4515201)
Still a lil confused. Is this just an added part to make obnoxious noise?

It's just a straight flow muffler with fiberglass around it.

They're not really that effective at reducing noise, and a lot of modern mufflers flow as good or better while not sounding like crap...but whatever.

sleepyboy 12-28-2012 08:12 AM

glasspack, resonator, all the same thing really depending on the application. I just put in a 36" long Thrush glass pack just recently to help quiet my exhaust down since I didn't have a resonator on my Magnaflow exhaust. It performs the same function as a "resonator" made by magnaflow and actually doesn't sound too bad, really made it liveable and I wish I would have done it years ago.