Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-2013) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Wheel hop! (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=305052)

JL330 12-26-2012 11:52 AM

Wheel hop!

What can I do to cut down on this? I'm new to fwd cars and I can't stand when my wheels start bouncing on me and I feel like something is going to break.

amoosenamedhank 12-26-2012 12:10 PM

You must have a lot more power than me because my car doesn't wheel hop at all.

To answer your questions, I'd start with a stiffer RMM and sticker tires.

mac.mogul 12-26-2012 12:13 PM

My 2nd gen did it too. Its just a result of being a passenger car. It's not designed for clutch-dropping red-light launches... It's made for carrying people over distances.

Consider upgrading the suspension parts. Control arms, stiffer bushings, lowering springs, etc.

JL330 12-26-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank (Post 4512942)

I have those super skinny tires that come with the s model. It looks like bicycle tires.

BaconZombie 12-26-2012 02:11 PM

You need upgraded engine mounts. You're getting wheel hop and shaking in the front when launching, right? The stock engine mounts on our Focus are ridiculously soft. But like what mac.mogul said, it's because it's a passenger car. Upgrade the rear motor mount, most of us are use one from a Mazdaspeed 3, and then hope someone comes out with at least some inserts for the others very soon!

suss6052 12-26-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank (Post 4512942)

The MS3 rmm doesn't prevent wheel hop at all. Car clangs badly with the TCS on for a hard launch with the o.e. tires. TCS off and the tires spin and the hop is less but I think it's still there.

Cobra5O1 12-26-2012 02:40 PM

Idk about it on front wheel drive, but on my Cobra if I turned the wheel slightly it would stop. It hoped only when absolutely straight. I have not tried this out on the focus yet though..

2012 Focus 5 Door SE
Airbox Mod, 13% tinted windows, tinted taillights.

JL330 12-26-2012 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suss6052 (Post 4513105)
The MS3 rmm doesn't prevent wheel hop at all. Car clangs badly with the TCS on for a hard launch with the o.e. tires. TCS off and the tires spin and the hop is less but I think it's still there.

I had seen others say it helps. I need better wheels and tires for sure.

jdubhack 12-26-2012 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suss6052 (Post 4513105)

This is a subjective view. Most of us w/ the MS3 RMM do not report the same findings. I prefer it to the stock mount and haven't experienced any if this.

suss6052 12-26-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdubhack (Post 4513232)
This is a subjective view. Most of us w/ the MS3 RMM do not report the same findings. I prefer it to the stock mount and haven't experienced any if this.

The wider stickier pilot sport 3 tires cause it to bog instead of hop at least according to Duane(dyn085). The o.e. continentals in the 16 size spin easily and therefore induce hop badly with the TCS on at a hard launch. With it off it's not catastrophically bad but it's not great either. So I focus on not gunning it from a stop or from a slow first gear roll to avoid damaging the drive line. It's not subjective at all when it makes bad noises when the TCS fights the engine and the power train moves excessively, with the TCS on it's every bit as bad as the o.e. mount at launch, otherwise it's not terrible.