Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Is it possible to run an aluminum flywheel and stock clutch? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304865)

badazz2010focus 12-22-2012 05:41 PM

Is it possible to run an aluminum flywheel and stock clutch?

My clutch is shot with barely over. 80000 on the clock I am quite rough on things I'm getting a [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] load of chatter whenever I turn right and first starting first gear. What I want to do is get a stock clutch and mate it to a aluminum fly wheel if that's even possible.

Indy'sexclusiveZx3 12-22-2012 07:45 PM

To let you know a alum flywheel will chater as well

iminhell 12-22-2012 07:48 PM

^Mine doesn't.

And Yes. You can mate any clutch you want to an AL FW.

Mike_Mac 12-22-2012 07:58 PM

yeah it will work. the SVT was the only one where you had to watch flywheel/clutch combos.

i also have an aluminum flywheel with no chatter. I'm not sure where people got the idea of them chattering, maybe a few people who damaged their throw out bearing installing it.

whynotthinkwhynot 12-22-2012 10:07 PM

No issues, the only issue with Duratecs is that you must replace the flywheel because it's a DMF. hehe.... you don't want to know how many miles I have on my stock clutch.

badazz2010focus 12-22-2012 10:40 PM

I'm kinda foggy as to why they use dmf's can someone explain why?

Indy'sexclusiveZx3 12-22-2012 11:33 PM

Maybe it's my clutch and flywheel combo because mine is chatters all the time

felixthecat 12-22-2012 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badazz2010focus (Post 4509293)
I'm kinda foggy as to why they use dmf's can someone explain why?

It makes it smoother to engage & shift. The springs on the dual mass have some give.

whynotthinkwhynot 12-23-2012 06:57 AM

^^^ That's it right there. Just like a heavier flywheel makes it easier to drive as well. Exedy makes a lightweight steel flywheel that is like 2 lbs heavier than the aluminum ones. I see CFM has 2 AL flywheels- I'm not sure which one I'd get, but then I'm not sure which clutch is best to get. I seem to remember someone having issues with Clutch Masters. I can't recall any problems with Exedy or Spec. CFM has their own clutch kit, but I'm not sure what parts are used in that kit.

It will be a miracle if I make it to FF13 on this clutch, so I have to find out soon.

felixthecat 12-23-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot (Post 4509600)
^^^ That's it right there. Just like a heavier flywheel makes it easier to drive as well. Exedy makes a lightweight steel flywheel that is like 2 lbs heavier than the aluminum ones. I see CFM has 2 AL flywheels- I'm not sure which one I'd get, but then I'm not sure which clutch is best to get. I seem to remember someone having issues with Clutch Masters. I can't recall any problems with Exedy or Spec. CFM has their own clutch kit, but I'm not sure what parts are used in that kit.

It will be a miracle if I make it to FF13 on this clutch, so I have to find out soon.

Throw the Exedy oem replacement on board. Plus add a throw out bearing to that order too.