Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Zetec rebuild questions (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304781)

gun_runner 12-21-2012 08:41 AM

Zetec rebuild questions

I'm getting ready to pull motor for a refresh, and I was wondering what all needs to be changed. The engine has 161k on it, but it has been running on Mobil 1 since about 1500 miles.

I already have the following items

Timing belt kit with all three pullies
Sachs Clutch
Head gasket
Valve cover gasket
Water pump

Plan on getting:
Rings
Rod bearings
Rear main seal

Should I bore the block? If so, what replacement piston brand is best?

Rudel 12-21-2012 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gun_runner (Post 4507742)
I'm getting ready to pull motor for a refresh, and I was wondering

Mayans got him!

gun_runner 12-21-2012 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudel (Post 4507758)
Mayans got him!

True story, but they weren't ready for the Benelli that I brought to the party!

iminhell 12-21-2012 03:03 PM

Hone, not bore.

Should buy the "Head Set" and do the valve stem seals as long as it's down.

Rudel 12-21-2012 03:33 PM

Do you plan on any FI in the future? If so, upgrading your internals wouldn't hurt.

gun_runner 12-21-2012 04:25 PM

It would be nice, but I am sticking to n/a for this ride. I have my 67 mini, and 65 dodge dart wagon to spend too much money on.

emsvitil 12-21-2012 05:29 PM

Do a mild DIY port on the head.

By that I mean clean up any casting flash and roughness in the ports. (check intake manifold and exhaust for same thing)

Deck the block and head for a good seal (minimum amount needed)

1turbofocus 12-21-2012 06:18 PM

My opinion is DIY porting on the heads wont do anything but I would do seals and check the valve springs , surface the head and block wouldnt hurt

Add the SVT header and 2.5 to 3 inch Exh , TB , cams (comp stg3)and adj cam gears, tune and you will be very happy with your new found power

Tom

gun_runner 12-21-2012 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1turbofocus (Post 4508218)
My opinion is DIY porting on the heads wont do anything

I highly disagree with that... I have worked with turbo dodges, and also some non turbo neons. Head porting can make a huge difference. it will be less noticeable at lower horsepower, but as long as it's done right, it can make a big difference. I have done it on the dodges, and also my father has been building race motors for almost 40 years, he is the one who taught me what i know.

This is just my first time working on a zetec, so it is totally foreign to me.

Also, dropping $1500 on performance parts wasnt really in the budget right now. I already have a cold air, svt headers, and FS stealth exhaust, I just want to get the car running nice, so i can drive it til i fix up my 67 mini as my spare car while the focus is down for potential performance upgrades. I would like to get an orp soon though.

(sorry about the rant, just in one of those moods... i was looking forward to fighting off zombies today, but to my disappointment, nothing happened)

ah1f39 12-21-2012 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gun_runner (Post 4508427)
I highly disagree with that... I have worked with turbo dodges, and also some non turbo neons. Head porting can make a huge difference. it will be less noticeable at lower horsepower, but as long as it's done right, it can make a big difference. I have done it on the dodges, and also my father has been building race motors for almost 40 years, he is the one who taught me what i know.

This is just my first time working on a zetec, so it is totally foreign to me.

Also, dropping $1500 on performance parts wasnt really in the budget right now. I already have a cold air, svt headers, and FS stealth exhaust, I just want to get the car running nice, so i can drive it til i fix up my 67 mini as my spare car while the focus is down for potential performance upgrades. I would like to get an orp soon though.

(sorry about the rant, just in one of those moods... i was looking forward to fighting off zombies today, but to my disappointment, nothing happened)

A Zetec can benefit from porting, but it takes experience and finesse to get a good result.