Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Lower motor mount (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304759)

Focused Warman85 12-20-2012 08:37 PM

Lower motor mount

How hard is it to put the poly bushings in the old mount bracket ?
Do they need to be pressed in[???:)]

SkyPilot 12-20-2012 10:15 PM

No they do not need to be pressed in, some lubricant and patience will do the job.

I just removed my mount with the poly bushings in it, the shaking was too harsh for me even after 10,000mi just fyi so be prepared for that.

Focused Warman85 12-21-2012 06:27 AM

Awe

So it makes it to stiff well I guess it's better than my motor flopping around under the hood.

sgtsmasher 12-21-2012 08:00 AM

so the lower mount is just for torque right? and the top mounts are for just holding the motor and to keep the car for vibrating apart right?

SkyPilot 12-21-2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Focused Warman85 (Post 4507619)
So it makes it to stiff well I guess it's better than my motor flopping around under the hood.

It sure was stiff, you might like it, I just couldn't take it anymore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgtsmasher (Post 4507663)
so the lower mount is just for torque right? and the top mounts are for just holding the motor and to keep the car for vibrating apart right?

Typically the lower mount is called the torque mount because when its replaced with a stiffer mount it will get more torque to the ground more effectively than stock. The other mounts when replaced with a stiffer will have the same result of getting power to the ground just not as effective as the lower mount.

All 3 mounts work together. as for the Vibrating apart thing. If ANY of the mount wear out it will vibrate. When the mounts get old its recommended to replace all 3 because if you just replace the problem mount (the passenger mount typically goes first) the other 2 weaker mounts can prematurely wear out the new mount.

sgtsmasher 12-21-2012 04:14 PM

ok thats sounds right, and from what ive been looking at they're relatively cheap and easy to install...any suggestions for sites to buy new ones

focusmaniaczx3 12-21-2012 06:31 PM

ebay, CFM, massive, top speed, etc.

just my opinion, i think you would be better off to replace the entire mount rather than just the bushings but that is just me.

i have all 3 VF engineering polyurethane motor mounts and i dont think the vibration is bad at all. the only time i notice it is if i drop my idle speed down to under 900rpm then the whole car vibrates but only at idle and very low revs while driving. under 2000 rpm i can feel engine vibration in the steering wheel some. in the winter i will raise my idle to about 1300 so it warms up faster on cold mornings and at that rpm the vibration is undetectable to me.

its a trade off. you sacrifice comfort for longevity and performance. the poly will last longer and stand up way better to spirited driving as well as helping the performance of the car. ive had mine for about 4-5 years and have not had a problem yet. i cannot speak for certain about any poly inserts for stock mounts. i just cannot imagine that ending well.

Screachin93 12-22-2012 07:34 PM

I used Massive Poly Inserts in my stock mount and seems to do fine there's little to no vibrations just in the cold morning till it warms up after that its just fine. It was kinda a pain to put the inserts in I used a table vise and a soap and water solution to help the inserts slide into place but put something in between the vise teeth and the inserts so they don't get damage