Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Ok Listen up.... (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304693)

Incognito27 12-19-2012 04:09 PM

Ok Listen up....

.... All you mechanics, or wonderful folks who know the Zetec engine inside and out , please speak up , because i have a problem , and i need some insight. Unless you know the Zetec Engine inside out like the back of your hand...(assuming its not a fake had) please post up , when i get a few people in here , i will pose the problem for you to think about.

Indy'sexclusiveZx3 12-19-2012 08:16 PM

Done what's you question

Incognito27 12-19-2012 09:27 PM

DPFE Sensor replaced , EGR replaced , VOltages checked , all fine.

Car Loses power , inttermitently between 1500 and 2500 RPM , and stays that way until randomly it decides to work. Brake also gets hard , so basically booster is pumped up . That tells me vaccum issue. However i looked at as many vaccum hoses as i could and no issues found.

Engine is fine , car tries to rev past it all , and the ECU tries to offset the lack of power when i hit the gas.

Now the confusing part, This does not happen all the time. maybe 75% of the time. sometimes its fine , others it takes me going around the block 3 times for it to decide to work fine , other days when i get to the end of my street its fine. completly random

what are your thoughts and suggestions. If i have done it will say i have. If i haven't i will try to.

Thanks in advance for any ANY help whatsoever

nomind 12-19-2012 09:56 PM

Does it feel like its breaking up? Maybe you've got a bad coil, or the connectors on the pig tail for the coil is breaking down. Another option, if you honestly think its vacuum, is having a smoke test done, or checking with a can of carb cleaner. Just spray the carb cleaner around the vacuum hoses, if you hear the engine change, you've found your leak.

Incognito27 12-19-2012 11:05 PM

Define breaking up

Wouldn`t a bad coil give a misfire which would give me some indication when i connect to the ECU

I looked at the connections on the coil they look fine.

Yes i just replaced the EGR valve with a known working used one from a friend. The old one was rusted and had holes in it from rusting.

When i looked at all the hoses behind the engine around the intake , and on the firewall everything looked good , only two things seemed out of place, 1 when i checked the hoses connecting to the DPFE sensor , one had moisture in it. and when i blew in it , there was no resistance in the air , so unless it was a bottomless pit for me to blow in , the air i blew in went out somewhere just as fast.

Not sure if that means anything.

i will have to do the carb cleaner test as budget is tight atm.

amc49 12-20-2012 04:10 AM

One of the DPFE hoses IS a bottomless pit, you are simply blowing into the exhaust pipe. It is normal to have droplets of water in the hose. Coils often go bad to miss and show nothing on DTC until really bad. I've changed on both of mine and no codes at all. If the newer EGR valve is known to not leak when off then simply unplug vacuum to it and plug the hose, that takes EGR out as a problem.

Incognito27 12-20-2012 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amc49 (Post 4506124)
If the newer EGR valve is known to not leak when off then simply unplug vacuum to it and plug the hose, that takes EGR out as a problem.

Can you elaborate on this please :)

amc49 12-20-2012 06:50 PM

It's not rocket science.

Take vacuum hose off the EGR valve itself and plug the hose. Now EGR does not work at all so it can't mess up your stuff. The valve must be capable of fully closing though or you have a vacuum leak.

Incognito27 12-20-2012 07:28 PM

yes someone sent me a PM on it , i will give it a shot tomorrow and update as to the problem , i may also go to a junk yard and grab another coil, just to try. can`t hurt .

Incognito27 12-20-2012 07:28 PM

Also for the record i am mechanically inclined , but not enough to say i am a expert , i primarily do body and paint.

Sorry for dumb questions