Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   satellite antenna mount location? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304644)

CCM302 12-18-2012 09:25 PM

satellite antenna mount location?

Anybody mounted one of the satellite radio antennas on their car? if so, what's a good location and/or where did you put it? Was thinking about putting it on the front left corner of the roof so as not to have to run to much wire. Thoughts? Ideas? Pics of your mounted antenna are welcome.

sleepyboy 12-18-2012 09:27 PM

Moved ya to the Car audio section so you can get some better answers. I mounted mine in the middle of the roof right at the back of the hatch area. It sucked running that wire too so your idea may be better lol

Marbs 12-18-2012 09:43 PM

I have mine where the factory one comes out. I'll try to get a pic and post it.

CCM302 12-18-2012 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepyboy (Post 4504411)
Moved ya to the Car audio section so you can get some better answers.

Thanks, not sure why I thought this was SVT specific.
[scratch]

sleepyboy 12-18-2012 10:01 PM

It's all good, a lot of the things on a SVT are SVT specific when it comes to motor, trans, and a few other stuff but majority of other things are common among all foci. [thumb]

FocusedSlayer 12-19-2012 12:15 PM

I've got mine right in the middle of the top back and then the wire run around the edge of the glass and taped in place with double sided 3m tape and then it goes into the trunk area then up to the front right kick panel where I have the small receiver at.

I'm the 1 on the right

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/o...8/DSC_0243.jpg

Kipp 12-19-2012 05:55 PM

you can mount it pretty much anywhere you want to as long as it has clear line of sight. they origonally needed to go in the back of the roof as in the pic above, but new ones don't matter. i used to install these all the time at best buy and we did most of them above the front windshield and ran the wire down the trim and through the door boot. if you're doing it on your mustang then you can always put it on the trunk lid and just wrap it around the edge and zip tie it to the wires underneath the lid.

CCM302 12-20-2012 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kipp (Post 4505475)
you can mount it pretty much anywhere you want to as long as it has clear line of sight. they origonally needed to go in the back of the roof as in the pic above, but new ones don't matter. i used to install these all the time at best buy and we did most of them above the front windshield and ran the wire down the trim and through the door boot. if you're doing it on your mustang then you can always put it on the trunk lid and just wrap it around the edge and zip tie it to the wires underneath the lid.

I'm actually uninstalling it from the GT and installing it on the SVTF. I have bigger and better plans for the GT.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FocusedSlayer (Post 4505033)
I've got mine right in the middle of the top back and then the wire run around the edge of the glass and taped in place with double sided 3m tape and then it goes into the trunk area then up to the front right kick panel where I have the small receiver at.

I'm the 1 on the right

Yea, that's pretty much what I did on my GT. Was just looking to not run so much wire. I'll probably just run it to the front left corner and leave it like that.

Thanks guys.

CCM302 12-20-2012 05:23 PM

The basis of all of this was me just being curious as to whether others have had problems mounting it anywhere besides the back like FocusedSlayer. Sirius more or less threatened that I would always have terrible reception if I mounted it anywhere beyond what they specified (ie what focusedslayer and I have done).

Monkeygrits 12-20-2012 05:54 PM

All of the aftermarket Sirius units I've installed in mine and my parents cars over the last few years, I've always double back 3m taped the antenna in the corner of the dash on the passenger side by the windshield. No running wires and the antenna stays out of the weather. Then run the wire down along the edge of the dash out of sight. You may need to more it toward the center a little if it has signal problems. Its hardly noticeable either.