Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ford Focus & General Car Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Thinking of a '05 wagon (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304282)

GoldenDog 12-13-2012 11:20 AM

Thinking of a '05 wagon

Hi guys, I would like to get your input on a possible upcoming purchase of a 2005 FF SE wagon. The wagon is a 5 speed stick, 152,000 miles. They have never had major problems with it and always maintained. New tires with extra set of snows and new battery in April. Currently needs no work.

The bad isn't much. Rear defrost and cd player not working, dent in rear bumper. Don't care about those much anyhow. These people are great friends of mine and are not asking much for it, well below book.

What are the things I should look for? I know all cars have quirks with hidden rust etc. Also could anyone tell me how wide the rear cargo area is in inches? I may need to carry the occasional chest of drawers or drop leaf table etc.

Thanks!

FordNLNR 12-17-2012 07:11 AM

So did you go for it? There's nothing cooler than a 5 speed wagon in my book. If it's yours, post some pics in the wagon owners thread.

FLYLOW 12-17-2012 07:23 AM

If you know wrking on car basics then Go for it, why not? how much?

Worst case = itll need a new clutch, brakes, alt or smthing simple later on. Do a simple tune up when u get it and u should be good

gondorian 12-17-2012 02:52 PM

I have a 2002 Focus wagon 5 spd.

Look out for rust near: rocker panels, rear bumper reinforcement, wheelwells, rear suspension (nearly inevitable), door bottoms.

Wagons sometimes eat rear tires if the alignment is off, ask about this and get it checked. You may need to to get it adjusted and buy adjustable camber bolts or control arms for the rear.

Clutch is not super hard to replace but it isn't easy either. Count on a full day's worth of work to do it and 200-300 in parts, depending of if you replace the flywheel too.

Other than that it is a great car and you can hold a lot of stuff. When I get home I can measure the width of the rear cargo area. I would really recommend it as long as you are willing to do basic work on it yourself. You shouldn't have a problem with it at 150k if it has been well maintained, only minor things here and there. The dent in the rear bumper can probably be pushed out. Just warm it up with a heat gun or a hair dryer and the push from underneath.

GoldenDog 12-17-2012 05:03 PM

Thank you for the feedback and tips, much appreciated. The owners have been off on vacation but I should get to check it out this weekend. Will keep you updated.

chris4479 12-17-2012 09:48 PM

You can easily fit 6 foot lumber, like 1X3 in it. With the back seats down & cargo shade removed i fit a lot of a stuff in mine. I'd say buy it. The longer wheelbase makes it a better handling car too, CHris//

katiekay 12-18-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris4479 (Post 4502731)
You can easily fit 6 foot lumber, like 1X3 in it. With the back seats down & cargo shade removed i fit a lot of a stuff in mine. I'd say buy it. The longer wheelbase makes it a better handling car too, CHris//

The wheelbase for all ZX3, ZX5, sedan and wagons are the same.

Wagon's are cool, I have always wanted one just to slam!

gondorian 12-18-2012 01:59 PM

Rear cargo area is 46 inches wide. 2005-07 may be slightly different

zx3_bmxrider 12-18-2012 02:35 PM

I want a 5 speed wagon! I say go for it. They are really safe also. My parents totaled theirs this past January by hitting a guard rail at 75 mph. They walked out completely fine, hope the deal goes well for ya!

flyboyike 12-18-2012 04:56 PM

I would agree about the clutch, if it still has the original one, it's not good for much longer.