Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   2012 SEL Trunk Lid Strut Weak (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304231)

flingwing1969 12-12-2012 03:51 PM

2012 SEL Trunk Lid Strut Weak
 
My 18K miles SEL's trunk lid strut has weakened. Up until recently, the truck lid would pop fully open immediately and hold on the level or on an incline. I was impressed with its function.

While on a recent road trip, I bumped my head while reaching in for my luggage and noticed that the lid was about 4 inches from being fully open. When I closed it to take a load into the room and then returned, it would open to only about 6 inches from fully open. When I pushed the lid up manually, however, it would hold in that position. Later, when I parked in one lot on a not too steep nose up incline, I noted that the trunk lid would only open about half way, and that it would not stay open when I pushed it up - I had to hold it open with one hand to get it above my eye level.

I noted this to the dealer when I got my oil changed last and the tech opened it up once and left it saying it worked fine, no defect, no leak down. I told the service manager that it would often open fine after being left for a time unopened, but when closed and opened again, it would not open fully and I mentioned the incline droop. The manager said that if the part goes back to Ford and they find it okay, they will deny the claim. She would order the part anyway though and call me when it is in. She just called me, the part's in and it will be installed tomorrow morning. Nice work Sandy at The Ford Store.[thumb]

You might want to keep an eye on your Focus trunk lid. BTW, there are helper springs on each side and these are the primary opening force for the trunk lid, assisted by the single strut. There are two types of springs for the Focus, a stronger spring if you have a spoiler installed. I'm thinking that if this happens again, I might just get the stronger springs.[idea]

cobie56 12-12-2012 08:33 PM

I have an sel and i dont have struts holding up the trunk lid. Are u speaking about the hatch? Ive previously owned many hatches n never called them trunks. Just askin'. :)

Phokus 12-12-2012 08:40 PM

No Sedan. The Sedan pops it open
Is it cold? The low temperatures may lower its pressure

flingwing1969 12-12-2012 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phokus (Post 4495617)
No Sedan. The Sedan pops it open
Is it cold? The low temperatures may lower its pressure

There are two springs, one on each side, and a single strut on the driver's side. It is a sedan. Yes, it's been frigid here in the SF Bay Area, 45 last night. [:)] When I first noticed the condition, it was 87 degrees in early November in Barstow CA.

mutiger93gt 12-14-2012 04:50 PM

I haven't had any issues with my sedan trunk lid. I have the spoiler and it pops open each and every time. Its been chilly here in MO around 30 degrees F.

flingwing1969 12-14-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutiger93gt (Post 4498613)
I haven't had any issues with my sedan trunk lid. I have the spoiler and it pops open each and every time. Its been chilly here in MO around 30 degrees F.

They replaced the strut with no problems. The trunk now opens fully and holds open - but not as strongly as it did when I first bought it - I was always very impressed with how strongly the trunk lid opened and held. I'm thinking I might wire together three or four of the spring windings on each side to strengthen them.

flingwing1969 12-22-2012 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flingwing1969 (Post 4498631)
They replaced the strut with no problems. The trunk now opens fully and holds open - but not as strongly as it did when I first bought it - I was always very impressed with how strongly the trunk lid opened and held. I'm thinking I might wire together three or four of the spring windings on each side to strengthen them.

That lasted a day or two - probably only a delusion anyway. The lid now opens not quite a well as it did before and sags just a bit more than it did. On a mild nose high slope the lid must still be held open or it sags and stays at mouth level. I had received a call from the shop's customer service survey person and told them that, while I was well treated and got prompt and efficient service, I was still faced with a poorly opening trunk lid. The next morning, I got a call fro The Ford Store asking me to get in touch with them to make it right.

I took my son-in-law in to pick up his F250 SD and showed my problems to the service adviser and a body shop tech. They agreed it wasn't right but it was puzzling, this being probably the least complicated mechanism on the car. There can only be two causes, weak strut or weak springs - strut was replaced, springs are on the way.

If it's the springs, it can only mean that the steel was not properly tempered so there must be others like this out there.

bengtc 04-06-2014 07:50 PM

Is anyone else having this issue? On any slight incline the trunk will not stay fully open for me(1/2 open state). I've been hit in the head a couple times, also on a really windy day I had the trunk fully open and the wind pushed it to about 1/2 open state.

flingwing1969 04-06-2014 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bengtc (Post 5809610)
Is anyone else having this issue? On any slight incline the trunk will not stay fully open for me(1/2 open state). I've been hit in the head a couple times, also on a really windy day I had the trunk fully open and the wind pushed it to about 1/2 open state.

I took mine in with the same issues and they were going to get back with me on the possibility of heaver springs but I never did get any action from the dealer. There are two springs listed for the trunk lid, with and without spoiler. My guess is the with-spoiler springs are stouter due to the extra weight. I might order a set.

In the meantime, I reduced the springs' lengths by about 20% using heavy duty zip-ties to compress them - two ties per spring. I still consider the springs to be weak in the same circumstances you describe, but it is much better.

I'm thinking I might do a complaint to NHTSA - I have bumped my head at least three times.

bengtc 04-06-2014 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flingwing1969 (Post 5810090)
I took mine in with the same issues and they were going to get back with me on the possibility of heaver springs but I never did get any action from the dealer. There are two springs listed for the trunk lid, with and without spoiler. My guess is the with-spoiler springs are stouter due to the extra weight. I might order a set.

In the meantime, I reduced the springs' lengths by about 20% using heavy duty zip-ties to compress them - two ties per spring. I still consider the springs to be weak in the same circumstances you describe, but it is much better.

I'm thinking I might do a complaint to NHTSA - I have bumped my head at least three times.

I have the spoiler on my trunk and the springs are really weak so not sure if they would be any better for you.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:08 AM.