Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Sync services is awesome! (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304208)

Just Tom 12-12-2012 09:47 AM

Sync services is awesome!
 
Well....it's been two weeks ago as of today that I bought my Ti hatchback. In that time I've had the opportunity to take advantage of most of the car's features, except for Sync Services. So this morning on my 45 minute commute to work I decided to check out the "Services" that Sync offers and boy was I impressed!

I learned that by saying, "Tell me my choices" Sync will list all of the different commands that you can use. I listened to business and top news stories, in addition to technology and entertainment news. The best part was it was all commercial free and it was personalized based on the criteria I set up on syncmyride.com, last evening. Sync told me the weather for where my trip originated and the best part was it also gave me the weather for my travel destination while I was enroute, in addition to traffic along the way. Wow! All I can say is, AWESOME! I even checked some stock quotes and a couple movie listings in my area. This thing could become addictive.

The entire time I used voice commands to navigate through the system and it was totally 100% error free. The voice command system worked flawlessly and the only time I pressed a button was when I ended my Sync session.

For all the criticsm that Sync/Ford MyTouch has received, all I can say is that those who do not have it are really missing out. Overall the system works very well. Before the 3.5.1 update I had only a couple minor glitches which the update seems to have corrected. Sure you can live without all the extra features, but the question is why would you want to? It takes driving the Focus to a whole different level. The system has features that my Lexus doesn't even have.

blackraven456 12-12-2012 10:28 AM

Still not available in Canada.

Just Tom 12-12-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackraven456 (Post 4494780)
Still not available in Canada.

Really? That's unfortunate. I suppose it will be available in Canada eventually, but I am rather surprised it's not already. I suspect this has more to do with Microsoft than it does with Ford since all the services such as stock quotes, weather, traffic, etc are all based on U.S. There's no reason that I can see why it couldn't be offered in Canada, other than Microsoft just hasn't developed the database of information for that market yet.

Who really knows what the answer is, but I do know this; it makes for a complete info-tainment package. Typically these are the kinds of things that I could care less about. I always buy my cars with Navigation and XM radio if available, but now that I have all the other features of Sync services, I think that has set a new standard in terms of minimal required equipment on my part.

BrApple 12-12-2012 11:00 AM

I have used the Sync services a few times, but I rather not burn up my cell phone minutes to use the features. Also the interface might be different since I do not have MFT.

Just Tom 12-12-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrApple (Post 4494838)
I have used the Sync services a few times, but I rather not burn up my cell phone minutes to use the features. Also the interface might be different since I do not have MFT.

Very good point about the cell phone minutes. I hadn't thought about the interface in the non-MFT equipped cars. I assume the experience for you would be similar to having the On-Star feature where you press a button to be connected to On-Star. With the MFT however, Sync Services is completely integrated in to the touch screen environment which appears as any other feature or function. It's so seemless in fact that you don't even recognize that you're connected via cell phone. All the voice prompts and the familiar voice sound the same. Honestly, I think the critics have given this system a bad rap. It truly is one of the most advanced in car info-tainment systems I've seen and while it may not be perfect, living with computers seldom is....whether they be on your desk, on your phone or in a car. I'm truly impressed with what Ford has done and I beleive they are going in the right direction with this technology. With time the system will become even better.

suss6052 12-12-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Tom (Post 4494835)
Really? That's unfortunate. I suppose it will be available in Canada eventually, but I am rather surprised it's not already. I suspect this has more to do with Microsoft than it does with Ford since all the services such as stock quotes, weather, traffic, etc are all based on U.S. There's no reason that I can see why it couldn't be offered in Canada, other than Microsoft just hasn't developed the database of information for that market yet.

Who really knows what the answer is, but I do know this; it makes for a complete info-tainment package. Typically these are the kinds of things that I could care less about. I always buy my cars with Navigation and XM radio if available, but now that I have all the other features of Sync services, I think that has set a new standard in terms of minimal required equipment on my part.

Microsoft has nothing to do with sync services. That is all Ford's responsibility.

Microsoft only provided the core operating system at first and B-square had botched the original builds of MFT and when Microsoft came back on board to try and fix things it hasn't gotten much better by the sounds of things.

Sync Services is not an MFT only feature, and there really is no need for a clumsy resistive touch screen in a car today personally. Sure it looks pretty, but until it actually works 100% of the time (or near enough as to make almost no difference) its just technology for the sake of technology and therefore I did not want this in my car.

Just Tom 12-12-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suss6052 (Post 4494870)
Microsoft has nothing to do with sync services. That is all Ford's responsibility.

Microsoft only provided the core operating system at first and B-square had botched the original builds of MFT and when Microsoft came back on board to try and fix things it hasn't gotten much better by the sounds of things.

Sync Services is not an MFT only feature, and there really is no need for a clumsy resistive touch screen in a car today personally. Sure it looks pretty, but until it actually works 100% of the time (or near enough as to make almost no difference) its just technology for the sake of technology and therefore I did not want this in my car.


To each his own Suss. That's why manufactures offer different options/packages, MFt is available to those who want it. Some prefer the 5 speed manual transmission over DCT. The same argument could be made there, where until such time that the DCT shifts flawlessly as it should, it becomes another useless annoyance. As with all techonolgy, it improves over time; I assume that will be the case here as well.

cobie56 12-12-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Tom (Post 4494835)
Really? That's unfortunate. I suppose it will be available in Canada eventually, but I am rather surprised it's not already. I suspect this has more to do with Microsoft than it does with Ford since all the services such as stock quotes, weather, traffic, etc are all based on U.S. There's no reason that I can see why it couldn't be offered in Canada, other than Microsoft just hasn't developed the database of information for that market yet.

Who really knows what the answer is, but I do know this; it makes for a complete info-tainment package. Typically these are the kinds of things that I could care less about. I always buy my cars with Navigation and XM radio if available, but now that I have all the other features of Sync services, I think that has set a new standard in terms of minimal required equipment on my part.

it's also a 'distance' issue w/ sync not being avail. in canada.. I live right on the border and when i go into canada my sync works but only for the first 60k or so from the border so there is some 'bleed over' there.

suss6052 12-12-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Tom (Post 4494884)
[/COLOR]
To each his own Suss. That's why manufactures offer different options/packages, MFt is available to those who want it. Some prefer the 5 speed manual transmission over DCT. The same argument could be made there, where until such time that the DCT shifts flawlessly as it should, it becomes another useless annoyance. As with all techonolgy, it improves over time; I assume that will be the case here as well.

That used to be true on the 2012 models when there was more flexibility with the options matrix and an additonal trim level between the SE and the Titanium, but now with their streamlined assembly process and order matrix if you want a hatchback with rear disk brakes an alloy wheels you have to have leather seats in the U.S. You also have to have MFT to get the dual zone automatic climate control where as in 2012 it was standard on the SEL which came standard with the 4.2" sync w/ myford system without the siruis reciever.

Now you're funneled into one of a few large and expensive option packages to get what you want.

If I had to replace the car tomorrow for some ungodly reason the only Focus I can see myself going with is the ST, but it would probably have to be the base ST to avoid MFT and to avoid spending $4000 for options I don't really need or want. But that would also mean giving up the heated seats and the dual zone climate control.

My car is very rare for the fact that it was a one year only model, a one year only combination of features, and a one year only color. None of which could be replaced in 2013.

To equip the car the same way would cost thousands of additional dollars due to the other equipment that would be manditory to match or exceed this level of equipment.

JasDmw 12-12-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Tom (Post 4494835)
Really? That's unfortunate. I suppose it will be available in Canada eventually, but I am rather surprised it's not already. I suspect this has more to do with Microsoft than it does with Ford since all the services such as stock quotes, weather, traffic, etc are all based on U.S. There's no reason that I can see why it couldn't be offered in Canada, other than Microsoft just hasn't developed the database of information for that market yet.

Who really knows what the answer is, but I do know this; it makes for a complete info-tainment package. Typically these are the kinds of things that I could care less about. I always buy my cars with Navigation and XM radio if available, but now that I have all the other features of Sync services, I think that has set a new standard in terms of minimal required equipment on my part.

I'm told it is due to our crappy cell providers and the cost. As I understand it, Sync will communicate constantly with the cell network. That would chew up the precious few MBs we get with our crappy plans up here. In the US, the plans are generally unlimited so it's not a big deal. As I understand it, after a few ginormous cell bills, folks complained and Ford shut it down.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:39 AM.


http://www.focusfanatics.com/aboutus/copyright.asp