Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Short throw shifters (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304117)

Hawktwoe 12-11-2012 12:52 PM

Short throw shifters
 
Ok, they've been out a while. For those that do have them, I got a few questions.

1. Still fun to drive? (probably a stupid question)
2. Reliable for daily driving?
3. Does it change the feel of the shifter or just reduce movement?
4. Would you change it again?
5. Any idea if it will affect the factory warranty?

Thanks for any input you care to share.

PS. More questions may follow.

Bwill9886 12-11-2012 07:17 PM

1. Yes
2. Absolutely
3. It is more notchy no matter what you do, but significantly less-so if you get a weighted knob. Feel is still great IMO.
4. Yes
5. You won't be getting any work from Ford if something goes wrong with the shifter. Otherwise, it affects nothing.

Marbs 12-11-2012 07:45 PM

What he said ^^^^^^^^

_RED_ 12-11-2012 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwill9886 (Post 4493943)
1. Yes
2. Absolutely
3. It is more notchy no matter what you do, but significantly less-so if you get a weighted knob. Feel is still great IMO.
4. Yes
5. You won't be getting any work from Ford if something goes wrong with the shifter. Otherwise, it affects nothing.

100 percent agree with this.

macdiesel 12-12-2012 07:08 AM

They usually reduce movement. Get one, you will not regret it. The anarchy motive shift knob is an awesome addition. If you search ff.com, someone did a how-to review on a mk3. Heaviest knob out there.

Hawktwoe 12-12-2012 09:55 AM

Thanks for the input.

FocusOnMeNow 12-12-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macdiesel (Post 4494549)
They usually reduce movement. Get one, you will not regret it. The anarchy motive shift knob is an awesome addition. If you search ff.com, someone did a how-to review on a mk3. Heaviest knob out there.

Excuse my stupidity, what does a weighted shift know do?


Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Xparent Blue FF Mobile

Zillon 12-12-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FocusOnMeNow (Post 4494784)
Excuse my stupidity, what does a weighted shift know do?


Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Xparent Blue FF Mobile

The increased weight gives the shift mechanism more inertia, smoothing out the shift action.

I have the Steeda short-throw in my Focus, and love it. You need to get the combo (bracket + tri-ax) for the best result.

Yes, throws are reduced, yes the shift action is slightly notchier, but I prefer it that way. There's no question as to whether it's in gear or not.

SteedaJohn 12-13-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zillon (Post 4494858)
The increased weight gives the shift mechanism more inertia, smoothing out the shift action.

I have the Steeda short-throw in my Focus, and love it. You need to get the combo (bracket + tri-ax) for the best result.

Yes, throws are reduced, yes the shift action is slightly notchier, but I prefer it that way. There's no question as to whether it's in gear or not.

Zillion, we're glad you love your Steeda short-throw setup. Thanks for the kind words. Remember I'm here if you guys need anything [headbang]

Sonic_HedgeHog 12-13-2012 03:09 PM

My only complaint... Wish it was still about an inch shorter on height!

I'm running without a weighted shift knob, actually my knob is slightly lighter than the factory knob... I don't mind it one bit.

A couple Pro tips: 1. There is no such thing as too much lube when reinstalling everything especially on the spherical aluminum end! 2. Get the whole kit, not just the bracket!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57 AM.


http://www.focusfanatics.com/aboutus/copyright.asp