Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Accident not on carfax, Can i sell to carmax without issue? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304112)

k1ngkev1n1 12-11-2012 11:39 AM

Accident not on carfax, Can i sell to carmax without issue?

Curious i was in an accident with my 2 month old ford focus. It was 10k in damages to the car. Can i sell to carmax and do i have to say that i just got in a accident or anyhting or they just inspect it and give me a quote?> I checked carfax and shows nothing about the accident on there.

1hotfocus 12-11-2012 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k1ngkev1n1 (Post 4493351)
Curious i was in an accident with my 2 month old ford focus. It was 10k in damages to the car. Can i sell to carmax and do i have to say that i just got in a accident or anyhting or they just inspect it and give me a quote?> I checked carfax and shows nothing about the accident on there.

The right thing would obviously be to be honest, common sense.

But if you can get over on people and still sleep at night, then go ahead and not say anything.

If they can't tell it was in an accident, and all work done was done perfectly, then you will obviously get more $$ than if they find out it was in a collision. Especially a 10k$ worth of damage. Hell my new a4 had a tree fall on it and they repainted the whole car and fixed lots of damages and was 8k. Your car probably should be salvaged, so to be fair I'd tell the truth so buyers would know what there getting into.

But if your all about the pennies and the dimes, go ahead and lie.

What goes around comes around my friend.

P.S. I don't mean to be a douche, but if I bought a car that had 10k in damage and you tried to hide it, I'd look for you and find you. :)

Sent from my Nexus S using FF Mobile

k1ngkev1n1 12-11-2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1hotfocus (Post 4493376)
The right thing would obviously be to be honest, common sense.

But if you can get over on people and still sleep at night, then go ahead and not say anything.

If they can't tell it was in an accident, and all work done was done perfectly, then you will obviously get more $$ than if they find out it was in a collision. Especially a 10k$ worth of damage. Hell my new a4 had a tree fall on it and they repainted the whole car and fixed lots of damages and was 8k. Your car probably should be salvaged, so to be fair I'd tell the truth so buyers would know what there getting into.

But if your all about the pennies and the dimes, go ahead and lie.

What goes around comes around my friend.

P.S. I don't mean to be a douche, but if I bought a car that had 10k in damage and you tried to hide it, I'd look for you and find you. :)

Sent from my Nexus S using FF Mobile

No i understand, the cost was high because it was replaced all brand new parts nothing after market basically was front bumper back bumper hood no mechanical damage lots of cosmetics. SO basically all the parts are brand new and everyhting is fine. Im pretty sure the shop just charged up the butt because insurance was paying for everything anyways so they knew they would get 100% of the repairs paid.

goingFocus 12-11-2012 12:12 PM

Definition of 'Caveat Emptor'
A Latin phrase for "let the buyer beware." The term is primarily used in real property transactions. Essentially it proclaims that the buyer must perform their due diligence when purchasing an item or service. Sell it "as is". But, I'm sure CarMax has seen many folk like you before, and will pick up on the "signs" quickly. Live easier and be forthcoming.

SVTisRight4me 12-11-2012 12:40 PM

if EVERYTHING about the cars driving and ect is like new and there is not affect on it after the accindent then dont worry about it. if there are some problems then u should tell them

Kabigon 12-11-2012 12:43 PM

It is highly likely that Carmax will know without you telling them.

Your car would be *most thoroughly* inspected before they make you an offer.

k1ngkev1n1 12-11-2012 12:44 PM

Everything is fine I just personally don't like the way it drives. Not as smooth. Still have the orognal warranty and everything nothing is wrong with it.

pozi240 12-11-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabigon (Post 4493436)
It is highly likely that Carmax will know without you telling them.

Your car would be *most thoroughly* inspected before they make you an offer.

Exactly... we don't have "Carmax" up here, but, I know when I trade a car into a dealer, one of the first questions they ask is "has the vehicle, to the best of your knowledge, ever been involved in an accident or repainted in any way....etc, etc.". They normally even get you to sign something to that effect. So, if you lie, and they find out later, well, the contract is null and void now... that's why so many on here try to get extra money from an accident due to future "diminished value", since, car dealers are now going to "lowball" their offer, no matter how minor the damage and how well the repair was performed.... sucks for you, the owner, but, its the game dealers play.

redwake 12-11-2012 12:54 PM

i'm sure they will buy it, if they notice something it will impact how much they will buy it for... car max is usually low on their trade ins and high on their sales around here.

i had better luck with the auto trader trader in program.

honest people win in the end.

paul21 12-11-2012 12:55 PM

Any professional used car buyer will have a paint thickness gauge. One pass over the car will reveal any painted, replacement parts or blending quickly. Your VIN is also stamped on parts all over the car, i.e. the bumper. They should check the VIN's for comparison.

Bottom line: You'll have tough time pulling a fast one on Carmax. If you say no and they say yes, it will be kind of awkward.