Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Alternator pulley froze up (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304066)

capgrover 12-10-2012 04:10 PM

Alternator pulley froze up
 
Just last week my car died and I put a new battery in it, the next day I drove about 35 miles and my battery light came on so I checked my alt and it was no good. On the weekend my mechanic and I put in a new alt and anyone here with a zetech who has changed theirs knows its a real pain to do. The next monday I go to work with no problem and go about half way home and stopped at the store, got back in the car and drove about 100 yards and the car stalls so I thought it was just a hiccup so I tried to start it and it sqealed so I look under the hood and notice that there is belt rubber melted on the alt pulley and notice that the pulley is all the way against the alt which is why I guess it stopped turning.
Has anyone ever had this happen before?

whimsicalpouch2 12-10-2012 09:36 PM

no, thats interesting, probably could get a new one from defect.
i've changed my alternator twice and the 2nd time was soooo much easier. and faster

capgrover 12-11-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whimsicalpouch2 (Post 4492706)
no, thats interesting, probably could get a new one from defect.
i've changed my alternator twice and the 2nd time was soooo much easier. and faster

When you changed yours did you have to disconnect your motor mount to get the old out and the new one in.

elsolo 12-11-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capgrover (Post 4492299)
I look under the hood and notice that there is belt rubber melted on the alt pulley and notice that the pulley is all the way against the alt which is why I guess it stopped turning.
Has anyone ever had this happen before?

Yep, with the van we were using to tow the boat across the desert to Lake Powell. Ever pay $600 for a Ford remanufactured alternator (in 1988 dollars) because you are in the middle of nowhere at the only shop for hours in either direction? It was a $30 part and it took the guy ten minutes to change.

freemind 12-11-2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capgrover (Post 4493817)
When you changed yours did you have to disconnect your motor mount to get the old out and the new one in.

^Not needed at all

whimsicalpouch2 12-11-2012 11:33 PM

Quote:

When you changed yours did you have to disconnect your motor mount to get the old out and the new one in.
nope. never did for it, not needed. you just need lengthy tools and the will to keep on turning it once its loose until you find the right way to get it out. going in is a sinch

capgrover 12-12-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whimsicalpouch2 (Post 4494344)
nope. never did for it, not needed. you just need lengthy tools and the will to keep on turning it once its loose until you find the right way to get it out. going in is a sinch

This afternoon Imoved power steering resevior, radiator expansion tank and charcoal canister and took belt off ,unbolted alternator and could not get it out no matter how hard I tried,I even tried from underneath. Whats the secret?

whimsicalpouch2 12-12-2012 07:28 PM

its a tight fit, it may have to squeeze its way out. you literally have to work at it, and unhook and unscrew everything that is needed
http://www.focushacks.com/mod/Removi...or_%28Zetec%29


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:01 PM.