Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   US to UK light conversions (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304017)

USAFGuerin 12-09-2012 11:06 PM

US to UK light conversions

SO... I just bought a new Titanium 4Dr and i need to figure out a way to get a fog light to work in the REAR. i don't want to install an exterior, and i would like to just convert one of the 3 brake lights (preferrably to boot-top) so that it would turn on and stay on with the front fogs. i've run into a few problems...

1) cut the wire to the brakelight and ran a wire all the way to the fuze relay in the passanger pannel. Problem was... the ground and the hotwire were both hot...

2) attempted to access the wires set behind the light control toggle in the driver side. Problem was... didn't light the rear.

my next option is to completely remove the front fogs and splice the wire from there to the back, but that is a LOT of work for a brand new car.

also, i could just run a toggle switch, but i kind of want to avoid that...

if there are any suggestions or alternatives, feel free to let me know!

iminhell 12-09-2012 11:50 PM

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a 'fog light' (mounting it too high)?

Look into how the front fogs are switched by the light switch ...

sailor 12-10-2012 12:07 AM

Not quite understanding #1, since "ground" can't be "hot"....

You're in the UK and they sold you a US car?

goingFocus 12-10-2012 12:09 AM

There is supposed to be an additional position on the headlight switch for the rear fog, click one and front, second click for the rear for as well as front fogs. Also, there is a pin on the back of the switch, I believe 83a, or 83b for the rear fog. Don't remember which, but if you consult your local Ford dealer service dept, I sure a tech will be able to pinpoint which one. It's a built in the EU lighting code. GL

USAFGuerin 12-10-2012 01:03 AM

Just a UK requirement. Doesn't really help, but one of those silly things they need for MOT/SVA

USAFGuerin 12-10-2012 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailor (Post 4491371)
Not quite understanding #1, since "ground" can't be "hot"....

You're in the UK and they sold you a US car?

Tried to wire it to the fuze relay... bad idea... but yes i'm military, so i bought my car from the states because i plan on eventually heading back :)

USAFGuerin 12-10-2012 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goingFocus (Post 4491376)
There is supposed to be an additional position on the headlight switch for the rear fog, click one and front, second click for the rear for as well as front fogs. Also, there is a pin on the back of the switch, I believe 83a, or 83b for the rear fog. Don't remember which, but if you consult your local Ford dealer service dept, I sure a tech will be able to pinpoint which one. It's a built in the EU lighting code. GL

I forgot to mention this is a US spec. there is no button for the rear fog, because there is no rear fog. i just need to wire a brakelight to make it turn on with the foglight so that i can pass the inspection for the UK req's. i'll look into that switchbox again. thanks!

sailor 12-10-2012 01:18 AM

Well, for "quick" wiring since you have a wire run already - if you probe around that relay box 'til you find what wire goes "hot" when the fogs turn on, just tap into that & you're done!

The rear light isn't high power draw, so this should be adequate. It's not like adding high power fogs in the front, when you'd use that feed to run a relay & direct power from the battery to power them....

More like when you're installing a stereo & you just need to find a switched power source & an unswitched one - any wire that supplies what you need is adequate 'cause the extra draw is low.....

luck!