Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   SVT Performance (2002-2004) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Front of car vibrates when clutch disengaged (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303943)

stromberg2 12-08-2012 05:28 PM

Front of car vibrates when clutch disengaged

Hey guys, I've got a weird problem. First off, I need new wheel bearings on front passenger wheel. Here's the weird part...when I disengage the clutch, the front of car has a weird vibration, like the wheel bearing noise, but accelerated. When clutch pushed in, it goes away. Any ideas? Dog bone, vacuum leak?

Thanks,
Stromberg2

StephenElsbree1986 12-10-2012 10:33 PM

Vacuum leak on your clutch....? How many miles on your car? When was the clutch replaced? What Flywheel do you have, but like in any manual car rattling/chatter will be your Retaining Bearing and Slave Cylinder one piece unit in the SVT, Alum FW will chatter also, but that normal for lightweight fw

tukaniSVT 12-11-2012 07:46 AM

Hmm. I would start with the Motor mounts. Check to see if the rubber on the mounts are still good.

Then start checking for the vacuum leak. But on the clutch ... hmm.

Is the vibration only when the car is moving? And does it become even worst when you accelerate?

If it's when you accelerate, could be a few things. New to balance your tires, need an alignment, bad bearing (as you stated) or bad tie-rods.

Ray

StephenElsbree1986 12-11-2012 11:27 AM

Its in the clutch bro. Engine mounts wont cause viberation when the clutch is engaged or disengaged, So its the ToB unit or possibly the Clutch Fork, if it rattles horribly
Quote:

Originally Posted by tukaniSVT (Post 4492976)
Hmm. I would start with the Motor mounts. Check to see if the rubber on the mounts are still good.

Then start checking for the vacuum leak. But on the clutch ... hmm.

Is the vibration only when the car is moving? And does it become even worst when you accelerate?

If it's when you accelerate, could be a few things. New to balance your tires, need an alignment, bad bearing (as you stated) or bad tie-rods.

Ray

stromberg2 12-11-2012 05:47 PM

Thanks guys, I'll check it out. I'm leaning towards a bad bearing, as there is a drone from front passenger side wheel.

Stromberg2

stromberg2 12-13-2012 05:59 PM

Ok, I described the problem a bit wrong. What happens is the car's right front wheel, on acceleration, has a clunking sound, like the tire is low or it's loose on the hub. The sound and feeling go away when I let up on the gas. Hit the gas, and it's clunking again. Like I said before, I know I need new bearings, and I could live with that, but the clunking could be dangerous. HHHEEELLLPPP!!

Stromberg2

nate4027 12-14-2012 12:40 PM

Sure it's not a cv joint?

stromberg2 12-14-2012 01:03 PM

No, I'm not sure. Weird thing is it comes and goes. Yesterday, it was horrible, today, not so bad.

Stromberg2

Continuous 12-16-2012 07:45 PM

Judging by the problems your are saying you're having I'd have to agree that the noice you are hearing is a throw-out bearing on your clutch fork.

StephenElsbree1986 12-17-2012 02:34 PM

I'm still confused you said you need a wheel bearing and you havnt fix that yet, I'm confused BC since you said it's the wheel it's the bearing...... Jack up your car if the wheel give when you pull out it's the bearing if it isn't is what I said before since you Sid it was clutch pedal related