Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   SVT Performance (2002-2004) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Removing the flex pipe and cat all in one piece? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303905)

ChrisRobin 12-07-2012 08:19 PM

Removing the flex pipe and cat all in one piece?

Hey,
I was wondering if it was possible to remove the cat and flex pipe still bolted to eachother?

I don't have the means to get up to the bolts attaching the cat and flex pipe together.

Thanks!

Marbs 12-07-2012 08:52 PM

I took mine out together. But I have an 06, not sure that it would be much different.

sleepyboy 12-07-2012 08:58 PM

It's a lot different. I doubt you could get them out together but you can always try. I had a pain just getting the cat up into position.

ChrisRobin 12-07-2012 10:01 PM

If you can't, how the hell do you get up there to the bolts??

sleepyboy 12-07-2012 10:08 PM

Use extensions to get to it, makes it easily reachable.

ChrisRobin 12-07-2012 10:47 PM

Well let's hope the bolts aren't all seized up. Although since it's doesn't really snow up here and there's no salt on the road, it should be too bad.

While I'm here, what kind/length of extension did you use? Do you remember the socket size?

It's just so that I have all I need for when I attempt this.

sleepyboy 12-07-2012 10:58 PM

I want to say I needed to use two extensions together but I can't remember. I definitely don't remember what size bolts they were lol. What ever the cat's bolts are is probably what size they'll be.

FLYLOW 12-08-2012 08:23 AM

Imo not possible. The cat alone is a bitch to remove, the heat shield and sensors are always in the way of something, and if u pull everything though the front im not sure the flex pipes bends will make it possible. gl trying to remove the sensors with the cat pipe still in. 2 days ago I installed my catpipe back in for inspection and my shoulder and neck are still sored

Youll need a +12" extension and a pretty long tq bar to tq it out, and some chuck norris strenght. Soak the bolts in pb the night before and again like 30 mim before trying it. I used a 16" extension if a remember correctly (autozone, like $10)

ChrisRobin 12-08-2012 09:36 AM

Ah ok thanks... good to know about the extensions. Yup, it's going to be a pain but I'll try anyway.

SVTFocus noob 12-08-2012 12:29 PM

If you have access to a lift its not a pain at all, also if you got power tools it makes life easier, When I had to remove rear O2 sensor, I did it in my shop class and to remove flex from cat just held a box end wrench on back and then took air ratchet with an extension and bitch came right off. If you cant get to a lift it's still possible to, just a little more challenging, if no power tools get sum PB blaster or sum type of penetrating oil on there b4 wrenching at it. overall really easy task, if you ask me tho, everyone is different when it comes to this stuff.