Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   2007 "lifetime" air filter change (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303691)

dooor 12-04-2012 08:18 PM

2007 "lifetime" air filter change

[idea]This subject has been covered in the induction sticky. What I wonder is has anyone moved the battery to the trunk and installed a new SRI air cleaner in the battery's place? Maybe then duct cool air from the grill to the air cleaner using ? ?[?][?]

felixthecat 12-04-2012 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dooor (Post 4483994)
[idea]This subject has been covered in the induction sticky. What I wonder is has anyone moved the battery to the trunk and installed a new SRI air cleaner in the battery's place? Maybe then duct cool air from the grill to the air cleaner using ? ?[?][?]

You could move the battery to the trunk for pulling weight off the front end. Why have a sri air cleaner where the battery was? The intake is up front on D-techs. Checkout a steeda sri. Or look at a cai, like fwerks.

rambleon84 12-05-2012 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felixthecat (Post 4484326)
You could move the battery to the trunk for pulling weight off the front end. Why have a sri air cleaner where the battery was? The intake is up front on D-techs. Checkout a steeda sri. Or look at a cai, like fwerks.

This, the Steeda short ram sits infront of the battery; dont really see a benefit of having one sit there vs where the battery is. However, relocating the battery is a good idea for reason felix mentioned. Sounds like a pita to move the battery and then to fab a custom sri to fit where the battery is for the gains of a normal sri.

dooor 12-05-2012 03:52 PM

Getting cold air to the engine while minimizing water intake was what I was thinking about. One persons pita is anothers one time little job with long term benefits.
Why did Ford spec. such a big battery? My 1973 Chev. V8 pickup has a similar battery.

felixthecat 12-05-2012 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dooor (Post 4485245)
Getting cold air to the engine while minimizing water intake was what I was thinking about. One persons pita is anothers one time little job with long term benefits.
Why did Ford spec. such a big battery? My 1973 Chev. V8 pickup has a similar battery.

A Steeda sri would work great for that. As far as battery's go= Checkout Tirerack's site= A Braille battery should do the job for you under the hood= 6lbs w/ 527 cranking amps & 210 cca's. Then you wouldn't have to deal w/ running 6lbs of welding cable to your trunk. They have 10 Braille batterys to chose from. I'd rather have more battery then not enough for a DD.

rambleon84 12-06-2012 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dooor (Post 4485245)

The Steeda SRI has the filter element several feet off the ground and is placed in the front of the engine bay so heat soak shouldnt be a noticeable problem. The only way you would have any water issues is if you drove into a lake [;)]

http://www.focusfanatics.com/gallery...620intake1.jpg

By all means if you want to fab something to improve it, don't let me discourage you. I think it would be a cool idea and original; just trying to give you options. If you are interested in creating your own SRI, just know you must keep the maf tube the same diameter as stock otherwise you will have issues unless you get proper tuning to account for the size difference. As usual, felix lists a good alternative for a lighter battery too. As long as you arent running any extra stereo parts or something that requires more draw, it should be fine.

sailor 12-10-2012 05:48 PM

BTW - to answer an earlier question - the large battery is because a large 4 cyl. engine actually takes MORE power to crank over than a V8 engine does....

multiple cylinders at different points in their cycle smooths things out

dooor 12-12-2012 01:08 PM

Thanks everybody for the information. Last weekend I bought the air cleaner assembly for a 2007 SE from a junk (recycle) yard. Surprise, there are no air cleaning parts in this thing- no filter of any kind. From the air intake point behind the plastic cover at the corner below the bumper to the butterfly there is no filter of any kind! There is a plastic grid to straighten out the air flow just before the MAF sensor. My car is a PZEV, partial zero emission vehicle, sold in Calif. The donor car is a ULEV. ulter low etc., Don' know what the differences are, can anybody explain?
There is a posting showing how to install a cold air intake flexible tube next to the radiator and route the cold air to an enclosed air filter on this site.

CaptainRyan 12-19-2012 11:49 AM

I just took off the lifetime filter from my SES - the filter box connects right after the plastic grid and sits in the left side of the bumper. An intake tube comes off of the air filter box and routes above the drivers side wheel under the splash guard. It seems the yard where you got your donor intake didnt include the filter or the intake pipe

dooor 12-30-2012 12:41 AM

You're right. I won't go back there.