Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ford Focus & General Car Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   2013 Focus Hatchback - to moonroof or not to moonroof? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303597)

flyby1 12-03-2012 04:04 PM

2013 Focus Hatchback - to moonroof or not to moonroof?

Hi everyone, I've been on this forum a lot the last few months. Thanks a lot.

I'm finally deciding on my new 2013 Focus hatchback this week. I'm working with a local dealer who's given two great prices on nearly-identical Focus's. Both are my preferred color (black) and leather interior, which are my 2 wont budge preferences.

The cheaper Focus by around 2k has no MyFord Touch and no Moonroof. The more expensive has these two features, which really do not matter to me.

So just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the 2012-13 Focus moonroofs. Can you not live without it? Do you even care?! lol.

I've always been a bit divided on them. Obviously the idea of them is great, but I rarely end up using mine as it just seems to create awful noise over 25mph. I don't know, I'm going back and forth! One of my whole points on being able to justify a brand new car is getting a moderately priced Focus. An extra 2k, while not crippling to me, all of a sudden takes the price up a decent amount.

jimfocus 12-03-2012 04:25 PM

My car is a sedan with sun roof but the car had it and was presented as a special deal so I took it. I normally would not. If you care about performance, handling and rigidity don't get the roof with a hole it - it makes the car less rigid (and the the h/b is more rigid to begin with). On the other hand $2k is about $40/mon on a car payment but will increase resale value. My Ford Touch is controversial and has issues. I would probably get the less costly one.

WiscoGTI 12-03-2012 04:40 PM

If you don't care about MFT or moon roof, then I would think it's obvious to save yourself the $2k.

mac.mogul 12-03-2012 04:46 PM

I would get the one with MFT and moonroof. See if you can talk them down since you want the moonroof but dont' necessarily want the MFT system.

Elizabeth 12-03-2012 06:25 PM

I never wanted a moonroof. But my last car came with one standard. I decided I like it tilted a LOT. but never 'open'.
They are OK.
The main thing is a moonroof is always worth it's cost on resale.
You get back nearly what you paid for one when selling the car.
People want them.
So my Focus came with one again. No problem.

mainest 12-03-2012 07:02 PM

In my experience, tilting the moonroof improves air flow, and thus heating and cooling efficiency. That said, I'm sure your location will dictate how important that will be to you.

flyby1 12-03-2012 08:04 PM

hey thanks for the opinions!

Yea, I suppose the moonroof I can live with or without. The cheaper option, I feel I'm just getting a screaming deal overall. The pricier one, while still reletive to a good deal, is 2k more.

I do think that the My Ford Touch is just my main hangup. I simply don't want nor need it! I know it sounds silly and I'm a web and graphic designer. But I find the screen too domineering, bright (even when turned down) and I look at big screens all day every day.

flyby1 12-03-2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mainest (Post 4482230)
In my experience, tilting the moonroof improves air flow, and thus heating and cooling efficiency. That said, I'm sure your location will dictate how important that will be to you.

yea, we're on about opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of locale! it's been 80 here in Texas this week and next. for much of the year, say Apr-Oct it's rather blastworthy AC time.

Sonic_HedgeHog 12-03-2012 10:01 PM

A moonroof is what put me into my SGM vs a Sonic Blue

jdubhack 12-03-2012 10:11 PM

Moonroof. You won't regret it.