Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   battery light (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303587)

f_o_c_u_s 12-03-2012 12:40 PM

battery light

so the other night I noticed my battery light came on. but after awhile it went off. last night it came on again while driving, but then went off and would repeat this a bit. i noticed it only comes on after going 40mph or above for awhile, and then after slowing down or being stopped for awhile it goes back off. pulling from a light i thought i smelt something like a wire burning, but when i looked under the hood i seen nothing. everything looked fine. can anyone give some insight to this?

matmatician 12-03-2012 05:14 PM

Hmmmm... Have both your bettery and alternator tested at O'reily's or whatever the equivelent parts store you guys have. Most places will test those systems for free. My battery light does the same thing, and my alternator is going out. I've got an 06zx4 as well, maybe we've found the lifespan average of the alternator? lol

Screachin93 12-03-2012 05:18 PM

Sounds like the alternator mine waits till I'm about 5k rpm and everything dims down headlights interior lights dims the battery is new checked all all wiring everything checks out is this a common issue on these cars first focus I've owned?

f_o_c_u_s 12-03-2012 11:30 PM

yea i got them checked today, they said there was a dyode bad in the alternator. ive had this car for going on five years, and this will be my fourth alternator iv had to put in.

the battery they said was charging ok but not to its fullest. and my alternator was putting out two or three volts less than it should be. (electrical things arent my specialty so i cant remember the exact things i was told)

im going to go to a couple other places tomorrow to get it checked again just to get a second and third opinion. the battery is only a year old, and the alternator i believe is a year maybe two years old.

f_o_c_u_s 12-03-2012 11:34 PM

driving it today it seemed to do fine. seems only at night is when the light comes one, when im having to turn my headlights on. so whatever the problem is my headlights are sucking out the last little bit thats being put out. last night i took my car charger out of the lighter, took the face plate off the radio and dimmed my interior lights as low as possible (with still being able to see) and turned off my air. and the problem still existed. i may go back to walmart and complain, tell them this battery is only a year old and already having problems. depending on the news i found out tomorrow

Screachin93 12-03-2012 11:38 PM

Yea I have to get mine checked when I go into town. Hopefully Walmart will warranty it out for you so there's no hassel.

f_o_c_u_s 12-03-2012 11:54 PM

they better, batteries are supposed to have like a 4 year life span? its only been a year. i believe my alternator is still under warranty, however knowing my luck its probably just ended

matmatician 12-04-2012 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f_o_c_u_s (Post 4482653)
yea i got them checked today, they said there was a dyode bad in the alternator.

Thats the exact same problem mine has

freemind 12-04-2012 08:36 AM

Where are you guys buying your alternators?

It seems to be that cheap diodes are being used in them.

What kind of stereo systems are you running?

matmatician 12-04-2012 09:02 AM

Mines still the stock alternator (as far as I know, I am the 3rd owner) but I'm gonna have mine rebuilt. There's a guy by my parents house who only does alternators and has for 20 years. He told me that all the alternators you can buy at o'reilys /auto zone /advance auto all use the same crappy Chinese manufacturing and to stay away from them. And I'm just running a Sony head unit, nothing crazy by any means.