Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Modified New Mission Modification (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303485)

Chickenmuffn 12-01-2012 07:00 PM

Modified New Mission Modification
 
Since I have DRL's in the lower two side grills I didn't want to drill more holes into the lower side grill. Also I wanted to be more stealthy.

I bought some 3" flexible tubing and did the regular new mission mod. I ran the tubing from the bottom of the airbox, to behind the passenger side grill. From there I ran the tubing across to the lower middle grill. The lower middle grill already has openings for the radiator. Since the tubing is black, it's completely invisible and no one is the wiser.

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/2929/img1013fu.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

JL330 12-02-2012 03:55 PM

I was thinking of doing something similar, I don't know that there's any ram effect at that angle though. It needs to funnel the incoming air somehow.

Chickenmuffn 12-02-2012 04:13 PM

Hmm, I've tried my best to get it to face the front. Its sitting at about a 45 degree angle currently. I am in the process of making some sort of scoop/funnel too though.

But there has been a noticeable change in the sound of the car, which I like.

JL330 12-02-2012 04:21 PM

I may have to try the same sometime. I am interested to see how it sounds.

Chickenmuffn 12-02-2012 04:34 PM

I drive a 1.6 so the sound is most likely slightly different. So far I'm quite happy with the sound. Not much of a difference while city driving. There's a nice gradual increase in growl as the revs increase. Quieter and smoother than removing the airbox lid. I'd say its just right.

Increase in performance? Meh, I have my doubts.

I'll upload a sound clip tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure it won't be a good representation.

JL330 12-02-2012 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chickenmuffn (Post 4480526)
I drive a 1.6 so the sound is most likely slightly different. So far I'm quite happy with the sound. Not much of a difference while city driving. There's a nice gradual increase in growl as the revs increase. Quieter and smoother than removing the airbox lid. I'd say its just right.

Increase in performance? Meh, I have my doubts.

I'll upload a sound clip tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure it won't be a good representation.

I don't really see it doing much more than 1-2 hp at the most. I just like playing with my car.

medic68wjoe 07-02-2013 10:19 PM

I used this bumper duct I found on amazon. It's way cheaper than the other similar ducts and worked perfect with the spectre intake duct, andthe angle was perfect. fit like a glove right in the area behind the grill location used for the new mission ram air mod.
http://www.amazon.com/BB7009-Plastic.../dp/B005FGQLU2.
Perfect affordable solution. Let me know if anyone has a problem with the link.

Tjrommel 07-03-2013 08:02 AM

I thought about getting a high cfm computer fan and placing it in there just to feed it when low speeds. I would have tied it in with the radiator fans

TboneZX3 07-03-2013 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tjrommel (Post 4797679)
I thought about getting a high cfm computer fan and placing it in there just to feed it when low speeds. I would have tied it in with the radiator fans

I don't believe that would be worth considering. The vacuum present in the intake is enough to keep fresh air flowing at low speed. The fan would only serve to partially block the intake when higher volumes are required.

Tjrommel 07-03-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TboneZX3 (Post 4797716)
I don't believe that would be worth considering. The vacuum present in the intake is enough to keep fresh air flowing at low speed. The fan would only serve to partially block the intake when higher volumes are required.

Possibly but I wasn't doing it for the ram air effect, I'd do it for the lower IAT temps. I currently have injen sp Sri and if I am in traffic my IAT will get into the high 150s. I planned on doing a new mission style with a high cfm fan to keep cool air coming in. I'm sorry I wasn't clear on that. You're completely right about it having little to no benefits for traditional style


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:17 PM.


http://www.focusfanatics.com/aboutus/copyright.asp