Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Header install questions (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303461)

drewts86 12-01-2012 01:29 PM

Header install questions

So I plan on picking up a FSW header, probably sometime after Christmas.

My question is this: What is required to get the header on the car? I'm sure I'm going to have to deal with the EGR system and O2 sensors; but physically to get the header into place, am I going to have to unbolt front subframe or motor mounts to jockey this thing into place?

koke'sfocus 12-01-2012 02:01 PM

U don't need to un bolt anything but the manicat and put the header on plai and simple the hard ting is to remove the heat shields of the mani cat

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewts86 (Post 4479151)
So I plan on picking up a FSW header, probably sometime after Christmas.

My question is this: What is required to get the header on the car? I'm sure I'm going to have to deal with the EGR system and O2 sensors; but physically to get the header into place, am I going to have to unbolt front subframe or motor mounts to jockey this thing into place?

Posted via FF Mobile

drewts86 12-01-2012 02:19 PM

Roger. Thanks for the info.

felixthecat 12-01-2012 02:54 PM

I found I had to oblong the bolt holes on the bracket that supports the manifold. I oblonged the side that bolts to the header. The one that bolts to the block & manifold. I also removed the fuel evact canister on the firewall. I reused the oem gasket also. Better than the ford replacement one. I tighten them in sequance to 35lbs in 3 steps. Top to bottom then top, ect.

drewts86 12-01-2012 03:15 PM

Sounds great, keep it coming. I plan on doing a full write-up with pictures and/or possible video. Seems they have write-up in the How-To archive for Zetec/SVT and SPI header installs, but not for Duratech.... wtf, really?!

felixthecat 12-01-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewts86 (Post 4479230)
Sounds great, keep it coming. I plan on doing a full write-up with pictures and/or possible video. Seems they have write-up in the How-To archive for Zetec/SVT and SPI header installs, but not for Duratech.... wtf, really?!

Its not as bad as you think it is. Trying installing long tube headers on a GT500.

Buickboy 12-01-2012 04:59 PM

you can also undo the passenger side mount and slide the engine forward a little for more room. do yourself a favor and get a tune at the same time. I ran around untuned for a few weeks back when I did mine and the tune really woke it up

drewts86 12-01-2012 05:00 PM

Well in my mind, at least the arrangement of the Dtec motor makes more sense. Intake at the front / exhaust at the rear. Still don't get why they had the Zetec all flipped around with Intake @ rear and exhaust @ front. I mean, I've had other cars arranged like the Zetec too, but it just seem to make more sense to arrange it intake-front/exhaust-rear

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buickboy (Post 4479324)
you can also undo the passenger side mount and slide the engine forward a little for more room. do yourself a favor and get a tune at the same time. I ran around untuned for a few weeks back when I did mine and the tune really woke it up

Actually a tuner is probably my next purchase. Installed FSW CAI a few weeks ago. Just got a TB and IM in the mail a couple days ago and yesterday bought FSW Stealth Exhaust locally off craigslist.

AllCarFan 12-01-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felixthecat (Post 4479300)
Its not as bad as you think it is. Trying installing long tube headers on a GT500.

I will see that install and raise you a set of bassani equal lengths on a gen2 lightning sir!

The header on the focus wasnt too bad. Getting everything out was the hardest part. bolt your flexpipe to the header before you reinstall it....even if you leave it loose. its pretty straight forward. If dont get a tune, yuo will probably throw a code. There are some cheater tricks that sometimes work to not throw a code without a tune.

felixthecat 12-02-2012 07:14 PM

[QUOTE=AllCarFan;4479586]I will see that install and raise you a set of bassani equal lengths on a gen2 lightning sir! LOL

I see you've done some header installs too.